What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual bullet tip colours

37patt

bluetip145.jpg

I pulled the picture off a thread on IAA - if that's not allowed please delete this post.

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is that uses the blue over red tip shown?

you would have to see the headstamp to known who the manufacturer is.if the tip color is made under the NATO standard it would be something like incendiary/tracer,but seeing as its 14.5mm Russian,more likely the communist/eastern bloc color code

Thanks ammogun,

I found a 12.7x108 cartridge in Kuwait back in 1991 and I recorded the markings of a bright blue tip over a bright red band, and a head stamp of 12.7 (at 12 o'clock) over 81 (at 6 o'clock).

I've always assumed it was an API-T as those colours are normally violet over a red band and the blue and red are close, however it was just so unusual to see a bright blue over a bright red band on the bullet tip that I just wasn't sure.

In addition with a very generic head stamp - 12.7 over 81 - it gave no clue as to manufacturer. I wonder if the 14.5 has the same type of head stamp and it was used for commercial export items?

Do you have a source or a book that carries this information because I've been looking since 1991 for an answer and only now managed to come up with something - thanks again ammogun. I suppose it's a good thing I'm patient!

Do you have a source or a book that carries this information

I would recommend Ken Elks' book Headstamp Guide:Ammunition with Turkish and Arabic markings. ISBN 97809568528-7-8
If you Google Solo Publications it should bring up this and the other excellent books available from Ken.
If you have no joy via Google you could write to him at;
Solo Publications
80 The Street
Kingston
Canterbury
Kent
CT4 6JQ

Hope this helps,
Jim