What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze Key No23

ron3350

I picked up this Key No23 marked for plugs and D.A. Fuzes RL 11-18. It fits my steel, copper plated 2" fuze plug for 18Pr HE .
I guess DA Fuzes means direct action? but I have not seen a fuze with a square needing this key. I guess they mean to remove the plug from the projectile. Can someone comment on this? Some photos to make the item interesting.7RnmTPSlRmWd+chhozYXjg_thumb_354.jpgnNhQIihBRFSYs9MFaF%%4Q_thumb_355.jpg6TisffY0QqeaWz3xkI51%A_thumb_356.jpgC3aAQuUbTY+38EKdD0U19w_thumb_357.jpgTAFcNle6QtezafSUqHdCig_thumb_35c.jpg

Ron, you are correct; the No.23 key fits a large number of safety caps for both GS gauge and 2-inch fuzes and plugs with the square hole. I can only recall one fuze that the key would have fitted: FUZE PERCUSSION ROYAL LABORATORY No. 7, which dates from about 1860 and was obsolete in 1911. The Multi-key No.5 was actuallyused.

There are a large number of fuze and plug keys and I've listed over 35 used in WW1. There aren't too many that have survived though!

Regards, Depotman