What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6Pr 7Cwt Sub Calibre

flak18

Hello
Can anyone tell me if such a thing as a sub calibre existed for the 6pr 7cwt gun ? If yes I think I have one and will post some pics....if I can.
Thanks in advance for the help
Matt

The 6pr anti tank gun did have a wooden round with a .22lr barrel for use on ranges with model tanks on.

problem is over here in the UK the .22LR barrel is a firearm and could be held on an FAC if it is over 16ins long so in reality its likely to be a NO NO from the police.

Was this sub-calibre round chambered for a .22 centrefire cartridge? (.22LR is rimfire)

Flak18, is it possible to measure the diameter of the cartridge chamber, and the diameter of the cartridge rim.

I was wondering if it was chambered for .297/230 Morris, which is a centrefire.

Attachments

• 75E126F2-8924-4863-B6AD-2F1107222862.jpeg
    75E126F2-8924-4863-B6AD-2F1107222862.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. Brilliant. Clive, is there any reference material written on it that I can source ?
The measurements, Reccetrooper are...outer 14mm, inner 11mm and the exit hole 7mm. It's all a bit worn so those are as best I can give you but hopefully it will give you a starting place.
SO much info on this site.
Regards
Matt

The measurements, Reccetrooper are...outer 14mm, inner 11mm and the exit hole 7mm. It's all a bit worn so those are as best I can give you

Dimensions are too big for .297/230 Morris, but are close to .303

14mm. The .303 rim is 13.72mm
11mm. The .303 base diameter is 11.68mm
7mm exit hole. The .303 had a bullet of 7.92mm diameter.

Is the tube rifled? I assume it is, and the bore diameter on the rifling lands would be less than 7.92mm

Do you have an empty .303 case you could try?

Well, I have been trying a variety of cartridge cases. Bear in mind that it is rather corroded and rough in there. I have tried 9mm, .38, 7.92 BESA and .303 and the closest is, as you say, .303. It seems to roughly fit in the outer recess but does not chamber due to the mess in there. I will endeavour to clean out the chamber a little more and see if it makes a difference.
Thank you all for your interest
Matt

I have cleaned out the mouth of the chamber and a .303 round fits inside for about 65mm of it's length. I have used a Drill round. The mouth of the chamber where the rim of the cartridge would rest is slightly deformed as is the first part of the chamber. Not a great deal but enough to make a difference I would think.
The depth of the chamber is the same as the length of the whole round, so it sounds as though you are right and it is for a .303 round.
Better than an Agatha Christie book !!!
Cheers
Matt

I have no ref material nor example but did see one and the base had a small disc that sat in the chamber counter bore with a protrusion on one or might have been both sides of the disc face to hit a rim fire round. pretty certain the one I saw would not take a .303. I also recall my late father telling me they used .22 in ATK guns for practice.