What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More info on the East-German Army (NVA, Nationale Volks Armee) grenades

natocollector

Hi.

Anyone have more info on the NVA grenades, other than the info on the lexpev?

Also looking or DDR manuals, for reference.

https://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/sovietbalkan/eastgermanyddrperiod/ddrpracticegrenades.html

ddrf1oefen.jpg

hgr1francois.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
4sept2005%20031.jpg12832478_1066067720112598_289062494524917810_n.jpg11011956_1066067653445938_7451783807455378626_n.jpgEs gibt keine weiteren Unterlagen über diese Übungshandgranaten mehr. Das waren die ersten Übungshandgranaten der NVA. Hier wurde eine Zündladung eingesetzt und eine Zündnadel entzündet die Knallladung. Gruss Joerg.

Es gibt keine weiteren Unterlagen über diese Übungshandgranaten mehr. Das waren die ersten Übungshandgranaten der NVA. Hier wurde eine Zündladung eingesetzt und eine Zündnadel entzündet die Knallladung. Gruss Joerg.

Hi Joerg.

Thanks for your reply, do you kno the name for these two practice grenades?

Darryl Lynn's Vol 3 Grenade Manual says the first type is Fi Exercise grenade and the smooth one is RGD 5. Also an RG 42 type is shown on P 110.
I have the smooth body example with 13A impressed on the side. I have no other information. Ron.

Darryl Lynn's Vol 3 Grenade Manual says the first type is Fi Exercise grenade and the smooth one is RGD 5. Also an RG 42 type is shown on P 110.
I have the smooth body example with 13A impressed on the side. I have no other information. Ron.

Hi Ron.

Thanks, my "RGD5" also has the 13A markings on the body.
A official DDR/NVA/East Germany manual/instruction book would be nice to see, so we could confirm the origin and name.

Cheers.

Joerg. You show a photo of the insert cartridge for this practice grenade. Can you please show 3 views of this cartridge. A headstamp, top wad and a side view with dimensions so that I could identify one if ever I would find an example. Thanks. Ron.

found this, might be of help.

Attachments

• F-1_practice_East Germany.jpg
    F-1_practice_East Germany.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 16
hallo,
you may want to find the DDR technical manual "A 050/1/482" "Handgranten-Beschreibung und Nutzung" from 1980. The last training handgrenade was a plastic cylindrical casing filled with sand and a small bang. It had a friction igniter and was a throw away, one time use item. Attached is a page from the manual.
Bellifortis.

Attachments

• Handgranaten Beschreibung und Nutzung 1980.jpg
    Handgranaten Beschreibung und Nutzung 1980.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 16
I have throwing practice types that were used by the GST ('Gesellschaft für Sport und Technik': 'Sport and Technology Association'). one is of the F1 body style - painted red, open at both ends with grey rubber plug, and one is of the WW2 'stielhandgranate' type - black painted weighted metal 'head' with wooden stick. unsure if these were used by army (NVA), but they were used by GST which was organisation that did sports activities to prepare young people for military service. if anyone is interested, I have some MINT examples of the aforementioned stick grenade for sale - PM me :)

The red laquered F1 bodies, were made from casting rejects of F1 grenades. The DDR is the only country I know, that had an official sports discipline "Handgrenade Throwing". It did not have this name officially. It was called something like "Wurfkörper"throwing, I don't remember the official nomenclature. I bought my souvenir-sample in a sports-retail-store in Wismar, just after german reunification. Most of these stores had to close down within the year. A great, great pity. They were selling everything for half price at the time. I also bought a russian Stopwatch, of very good quality there, at a small price.
Bellifortis.

A bit off subject but I have two Japanese Public School Throwing hand grenades with plugs in an iron body. Maybe the Japanese also had hand grenade throwing as a sport or pre-military training. I can supply photos if anyone is interested. Not sure how rare these are. Ron.