What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 87 fuze?

Darkman

Can anyone tell me the purpose and use for a No. 87 fuze and the differences to a No. 80? The list of fuzes says that they were converted from a No. 80, but this one was clearly manufactured as a No.87 Mk 1 from new. It looks very similar to a No. 80 Mk IVA or V.
I'm having trouble locating much information on it.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• 87.1 fuze 1.jpg
    87.1 fuze 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 87.1 fuze 2.jpg
    87.1 fuze 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 55
No87 fuzes differ from the no80 fuze in having time rings filled with 30 seconds composition & (except Mk IV, VII, & IX) having lip on body cut off or omitted.
Some 87 have been fitted with hexagonal caps such fuze retain their original mark but the number becomes No 87C.

You could find it on 60pr shrapnel for example.
I'm not at home and I can't post documentations (list of changes, MkI to MkIX).

Regards

Last edited:
No. 87 - detail

Hi Graeme, I'll be publishing my illustrated book on British WW1 fuzes in the next few weeks, but in the meantime, here's some extracts: - The growing use and development of anti-aircraft guns required longer times than the ‘standard’ shrapnel designs, and it was decided to convert No. 80 fuzes by the substitution of a long burning powder in the time rings and to designate the ‘new’ fuze as No. 87. In an air raid on London on 2/3 Sept 1916 these fuzes gave an abnormal number of blinds, and after a number of trials, issues ceased and the fuze was replaced by the No. 80.

Design RL22270.
The early marks were defined as conversions from No. 80 fuzes in L of C §18501, and the later marks apparently manufactured as new, with similarities to the No. 80, as follows: -
Mk I from MkIII or IV
Mk IA fromMk IVA
MK II fromMk V
Mk III fromMk VI
Mk IV similar to Mk VII
Mk V similarto Mk V
Mk VI similarto Mk V

Regards,

Depotman

Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry for my slow follow-up. I now have so many questions!

So the No. 87 was used on shrapnel in an anti-aircraft round with an up to 30 second burning time. When was shrapnel used instead of HE? In WW1, AA was often an HE round with a No. 80 time fuze and a No. 44 fuze underneath as a gaine. Was the 87 fuze also used with HE and a 44 gaine for very high altitude (i.e. where the 30 second burning time was required)?

Also if the 87 was used on the 60pdr shrapnel, I wouldn't have thought the 60pdr was used in an AA role? Or were they just after the long duration burning for long-distance artillery?

How was the fuze set if it retained the standard 22 second graduations but was filled with 30 second burning powder? Was a simple ratio applied?

So my No. 87 Mk 1 fuze probably started life as a No. 80 Mk IV (brass rings) prior to final completion, but then had the bottom lip turned off and was stamped as a No. 87 Mk 1 on completion?

Thanks for any further replies.

Graeme

Hi Depotman,

I'd be really interested in your book on WW1 British fuzes when it's published.
Could you please contact me when it's available with price and postage cost to Australia?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Depotman,

I'd be really interested in your book on WW1 British fuzes when it's published.
Could you please contact me when it's available with price and postage cost to Australia?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,
Thanks for your interest and apologies for the delay in replying. I'm hoping that it will be published in about a month's time and I'll certainly put a post here on BOCN. It will be about 450 pages, hardback and with plenty of photos and drawings as well as technical information and references; price isn't yet decided and unfortunately postage overseas is always expensive! Regards, Depotman