What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordnance QF 77mm Gun Mark I on improvised ship mounting

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
" QF 77mm Mark I gun (1917)(Captured German field gun. 60 taken over for D.A.M.S.)
[…]
60 guns and mountings mounted in D.A.M.S. all later returned to land service."

The above 'one-liner' appears in a list of British naval ordnance and clearly suggests that sixty captured German field guns were fitted onto Defensively Armed Merchant Ships. I cannot find anything on this subject and wondered if any member has knowledge of it. The prospect of finding any British markings, or British fuzes, on German ammunition for this ordnance would be of particular interest.

Thanks

Reference: Information discovered during research by Depotman

Bonnex,

I'm sure you've already checked, however there's 60+ records in TNA on 'Defensively Armed Merchant Ships' the most promising appears to be ADM 137/2903 'records: supply, type and allocation of guns etc.' http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4114571 Whether there is anything regarding inspection, marking of captured enemy ammunition is not mentioned.

TimG

I have once seen a German 77mm Field gun case with a British double broad arrow "sold out of service" marking stamped on the case head. This marking indicated that military property had been disposed of through civilian sale.