Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabob View Post
    Czechoslovakia:
    The book Československé dělostřelecké zbraně (Czechoslovak artillery weapons) by Vladimír Karlický, Prague 1975 says:
    "...there was no guarantee that the development of new weapon, technically extremely difficult, will be short and successful. There was no other way but to speedily purchase in summer of 1938 in Sweden eight guns with ammunition, as well as the licence for further manufacture in Czechoslovakia. 4 cm automatic AA cannons d/60 system Bofors were undoubtedly to the best weapons of its kind in the world and were used in many armies. Guns could be delivered during the year 1939 and the start of production could not even be determined in 1938. After Munich the contracts were cancelled."

Bob
    So whats 4 cm automatic AA cannons d/60 in czech? Also y does it say d/60 instead of l/60?

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    No the 40 mm were not used in the pre WW2 Czechoslovak army.
    There is a lot of 40 mm ammunition scattered around Czech Republic from war time, mainly of Hungarian and German manufacture.

d - délka - length in czech language. Sorry I did not translate it to english.

There were some guns brought by 1st. Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade to Czechoslovakia after the war.
    I am looking for further info.

Bob
    any live or recovered ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by trained EOD personnel

Thanks
    No the 40 mm were not used in the pre WW2 Czechoslovak army.
    There is a lot of 40 mm ammunition scattered around Czech Republic from war time, mainly of Hungarian and German manufacture.

d - délka - length in czech language. Sorry I did not translate it to english.

There were some guns brought by 1st. Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade to Czechoslovakia after the war.
    I am looking for further info.

Bob
    Thanks for clarifying. Il add it to the list with english translation for now until u find more info.

Thanks
    FFS. I cant edit the OP. Is there a way to call the admin so he can unlock it or something?

Thanks
    So i made a new thread with the same purpose but this time with google docs to collect info easier.
    http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...701#post297701

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Sorry to revive this thread but there are some topics that need more explanation.

In the list of Czechoslovak manuals found here:
    http://www.vuapraha.cz/sites/default...1945_1.dil.pdf
    under No. 291 (page 32) a Training manual for the "40 mm protiletadlový kanón B". B means British NOT Bofors and can be found on other weapons of British origin.
    6 weapons were brought to Czechoslovakia in May 1945 by the 1st. Armoured Brigade (Czechoslovak unit formed in Great Britain).
    Ammunition manufacture plans from 1946 onward do not mention any 40 mm ammunition. Some blueprints were prepared by Skoda Factory in 1948.
    There is also no evidence that there were German Flak 28 weapons used by the Czechoslovak army after 1945.

The exact wording used by Mr. Karlicky when describing the pre-war contracts is "4cm automatický PL kanón d/60 soustavy Bofors" it is a description rather than designation.
    There is no evidence that there was a single gun delivered before March 15th 1939.

I also think that the designation You have under Romania is actually Hungarian.

Bob
    any live or recovered ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by trained EOD personnel

Thanks
    Some data about the Dutch pre WW2 40L60 guns:
    Army - Kanon van 4 tl (tl = tegen luchtdoelen) build in licence by Starachowice Poland
    KNIL - Kanon van 4 ld (ld = luchtdoel)
    Navy - Mitrailleur van 40 mm No. 3 dubbel (twin mounting)
    - Mitrailleur van 40 mm No. 4 dubbel (twin mounting)
    - Mitrailleur van 40 mm No. 5
    - Mitrailleur van 40 mm No. 6.

Thanks
    I assume you have seen the book on the 40mm by Terry Gander - "The Bofors Gun".

This is a link to the Kindle ebook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bofors-Gun-.../dp/B00QVZPR88

Thanks
    Polish:
    "40 mm armata przeciwlotnicza wz.36"
    " -//- -//- wz.38" (gun carriage "Semi-stationary")

and bought in Sweden for ships two barrel types:
    wz.36 [L/60] and L/43 for submarines.

export with ammo: (orders / without details)
    to ES, 1938: 24 pcs wz.36 (official to Peru)
    to UK, 1938: 80 pcs wz.36
    to FR, 1938: 20 000 pcs ammo 40 mm
    to NL, 1938: 48 pcs (same guns)
    to NL, 1939: 40 pcs wz.36
    to UK, 1939: 150 pcs wz.36 (not finish / war)

Thanks
    Sorry to revive this thread but there are some topics that need more explanation.

In the list of Czechoslovak manuals found here:
    http://www.vuapraha.cz/sites/default...1945_1.dil.pdf
    under No. 291 (page 32) a Training manual for the "40 mm protiletadlový kanón B". B means British NOT Bofors and can be found on other weapons of British origin.
    6 weapons were brought to Czechoslovakia in May 1945 by the 1st. Armoured Brigade (Czechoslovak unit formed in Great Britain).
    Ammunition manufacture plans from 1946 onward do not mention any 40 mm ammunition. Some blueprints were prepared by Skoda Factory in 1948.
    There is also no evidence that there were German Flak 28 weapons used by the Czechoslovak army after 1945.

The exact wording used by Mr. Karlicky when describing the pre-war contracts is "4cm automatický PL kanón d/60 soustavy Bofors" it is a description rather than designation.
    There is no evidence that there was a single gun delivered before March 15th 1939.

I also think that the designation You have under Romania is actually Hungarian.

Bob
    Thank you for this claification? I also realised that i fudged up with the hungarian designation
    Also its nice that people still care but id like for new information to be posted in the new thread i made as i cant update the op anymore so its basically stuck like that forever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast