What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut down casing - usa ?

ammofo

It's time for me to display my ignorance again !!
I've just picked up this case in France and I'm presuming its American judging by the cannons, but I'm unsure of the general ID of the case as it's been cut down (perhaps only slightly) and some of the headstamps are a bit vague. It measures somewhere between 75-78mm due to being misshapen at the mouth and the length is 383mm but seemingly has been shortened.
As for the headstamps - is that a date (minus last digit) at '9 0'clock'?...or is the '16' at '3 o'clock' a better candidate?
Lastly, is 'N' an indicator of Naval use as per British cases?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as usual !!

DSC05481 (1).jpgDSC05482 (1).jpgDSC05483 (1).jpgDSC05484 (1).jpgDSC05485 (1).jpg

It looks like a US made 76.2x385R case for russian guns. But I havn't seen it with the crossed cannons before.

It could possibly fit the calibre, but the length might be an issue if it has been trimmed down as that's a very small margin. The top of the case looks as though it may have been slightly 'necked' originally and could have been slightly flared out to almost straight - I suppose that could have created an uneven line. It looks cut although there aren't actually any visible 'saw slips' on the outside.
What sort of time period would the case you suggest be from?

Think it is of original length (should be 385 but the case is a bit flared). I only know them with crossed cannons ;-).

And do you support the US made for Russia theory? And if so, what sort of time frame do you think we are looking at ?

To make it more clear, it is Japanese made. I assumed that was already mentioned.

I simply did not realize it was not yet identified. It is a Japanese made 76.2x385 for the Russian field gun. Those Japanese made cases always have the crossed cannons. In other words, a nice find.

Really ??….are we talking Russo-Japanese War then (1904-5). What would any of the headstamps refer to then?
I'm going to research Japanese dates (not for the first time) Last time was tricky to get my head round !!