What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boer War Souvenir?

Vasco Da Gama

Found this in a local junk shop, not really my thing but ended up being an impulse buy! It is basically a small bell, the top cartridge is hinged and connected to a clapper on the inside of the 1 pdr case. The clapper is made from the base of another rifle cartridge but I cannot see any markings. I am guessing on a Boer War vintage as the rifle cartridge is marked for 1897 and I think 7.92mm made in Karlsruhe. The one pounder case is unmarked, which tends towards British and late 1800s but I am aware these guns were also used by the Boer's. The bullets look early but very happy to be educated on that point! Posted for general interest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 45
If from the Boer War, I would think the round is a 7x57, not 7.92x57. The headstamp looks right for that locale and time period.