What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 mm Bofors L/60 and L/70 variants, designations, data and history research

blockhaj

So this is a continuation of this thread: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/99444-40-mm-Bofors-L-60-and-L-70-designations-and-variants

Now why did i make a new thread u may ask? Well its because of the amazing feature of not being able to edit the OP after a certain ammount of time. This time i want to be able to edit the information even after the OP becomes locked from editing.

So to start again.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Im trying to make a complete list of all 40 mm Bofors variants (both the L/60 and L/70) and their respective designations from all around the world including history and data. Basically the 40 mm Bofors master thread.

I am personally from Sweden where Bofors originates from so i have access to the Swedish archive and therefore i hope to bring a lot of information from Bofors side on the subject in the future. But even then there is a lot of stuff which i wont be able to find in the Swedish archives such as the history, variants. data and designations from the rest of the world. I mean we are talking about two of the most widespread weapons in history. The L/60 might even take the price for the most exported and used autocannon in history. Well to make thing easy lets say it shares it with the 20 mm Oerlikon.

Either way i hope i have made my point clear. Now to be able to find all of this information i need help from the rest of the world. All info is wellcomed even if its common knowledge for most.

My personal end goal is to update the English wikipedia page about the 40 mm Bofors gun into one article each for the L/60 and L/70 with as much info as possible. Spreading knowledge is the best thing i know and there are a lot of missconceptions and rumours about these guns. Especially considering the amount of use they have acquired through the years. I mean its sometimes on the same level as some nazi weapon from WW2 where all documents where burned.

Due to their historical importance i feel like its time to take a stand and educate the world about these guns as no one has done previously on a large scale.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now in the original thread i planned to update the OP continiously with new information as it was found but as mentioned u cant edit a post forever and when i think about it there might even be a letter cap or something which would have made it impossible to fill it with all the information in the end.

So in this thread i will introduce the magic of google excel and google docs. The excel sheet will mainly focus on being a list of all the variants and their performance data. The google doc will mainly focus on the historiy and visual and technical data such as components, upgrades etc.

If anyone would like to help me edit these files then just send me a pm with ur gmail and i will give u access.

Excel sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oZtY2x5R7zpflHfp7NqROtpIkLLgJRX6yiOtfXovFFE/edit#gid=0

There are two tabs, one for each gun.
The many categories might look like overkill at first but we are making a complete sheet arent we? If u feel like more categories are needed or want other changes then ask in a post.
More detailed information which is hard to fit into the sheet will be posted in the google doc.

Google doc for the L/60: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vOZH45rKqg-z6g-8SA9-yWCFN_Run-tLz85YgAJ9lOs/edit?usp=sharing
Google doc for the L/70: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rwD2LvgfFE2yiGP9HNUgKie73-6BvjpDOcP92T04uY4/edit?usp=sharing

So these docs might look very basic atm but my aim to to fill them with longer texts of facts.
So once i cant update this OP anymore i will post updates and other messages in this doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IVaiajsqa_IiNdwkQUwpl9IWGMYKnNCZ45sS2c29w60/edit?usp=sharing