What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Russian Anti-tank Gun Sights - 45mm, 57mm and 76mm

M8owner

I found this PP1-2 sight in the US of all places. The PP-1 was the sight used for most of the Russian 45mm antitank guns. It is my understanding these are very hard to find. The PP1-2 is for the 57mm ZiS-2 AT gun, and the PP1-3 is for the M1942 model 45mm guns with the longer barrels with higher velocity. I have the Russian manual showing these variations. All of the units look the same - only the reticle, name plate and ballistic operation internally is different. You have to estimate the range, then adjust your sight with the dial for that range before firing. The gun had a round peg coming off the sight mount, and that peg fit into the hole in the side of the sight. If you absolutely must have one of these for your 45mm or 57mm Russian AT gun; I am willing to let it go.

Attachments

• Russian PP-1 sight.jpg
    Russian PP-1 sight.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Russian PP-1 sight2.jpg
    Russian PP-1 sight2.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Russian PP-1 sight3.jpg
    Russian PP-1 sight3.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The PG-1 was the standard panoramic sight for most Russian artillery from the M1902 76mm divisional gun all the way to the D-30 122mm howitzer of post war fame. It is interesting that it was used as the primary sight for all the WWII 76mm antitank guns. It was a rather unusual choice for an antitank gun sight. The range was dialed into a drum on the sight mount before firing.

Attachments

• Russian PG-1 Sight.jpg
    Russian PG-1 Sight.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Russian PG-1 Sight2.jpg
    Russian PG-1 Sight2.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 3