What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fuze container

kiwieod

does anyone know what this fuze is,was used for?

Attachments

• P1030585.JPG
    P1030585.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1030586.JPG
    P1030586.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 41
  • P1030587.JPG
    P1030587.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P1030588.JPG
    P1030588.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 37
  • P1030589.JPG
    P1030589.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 41
No. 17 Mk 3 N Primers, Electric. Filled Chorley 1960. Not sure what the Navy used them in, but I think one of the 4.5" cartridges and one of the Anti Submarine Mortar cartridges.

TimG

Last edited:
No. 17 Mk 3 N Primers, Electric. Filled Chorley 1960. Not sure what the Navy used them in, but I think one of the 4.5" cartridges and one of the Anti Submarine Mortar cartridges.

TimG

I have an A/S Mortar Mark 10 case, converted from a 77mm Mark I dated 1948 which has a 17 MK N3 primer dated 1956 fitted. 3 inch cases were also converted for the same mortars.
gravelbelly

wouldn't the case have the primer fitted at the factory,or were these spare fuzes,in case of misfire,damage maybe?

They were used in the 4" naval round.NZ would still have had those guns on ships in the '60s.
Possibly they are for refurb/reload or renew,i don't think they blow out when fired like the 4.5" did,jamming the primer in the case.

I cannot imagine any circumstances when a damaged round or primer was replaced with a new primer on board a ship. Damaged or misfired ammo was consigned to the deep.

Some primers were used to test the gun firing circuits, screwed into an empty case which was cut off short. After the test the fired primed was ditched overboard and the test case cleaned up for next time.

gravelbelly

Interesting discussion. I was not present but around 1990 a friend of mine went to Cerberus Navy open day. They fired 4 or 4.5" guns, Bofors and mortars out to sea at targets as well as .50 cal at drone targets. He stated that a mis-fire occurred and they removed the long primer from the large case and replaced it before firing again. Not war time conditions but they must store spare primers for reloading perhaps in a 1960's box like this one.
Wish I was there to see the event. My friend was not a collector but was excited with the firing display.
Cerberus is a Navy centre at Flinders, Victoria, Australia, east of Melbourne. Ron.

thats interesting to know,seems a bit strange to change a primer on a misfire but if he saw it happen then it did.

Yes, too long ago to remember all the details. Obviously it would have been done at a safe distance from the public but a non-collector asked me about the long primer he saw or was shown after the replacement. I have no more comments.

I suspect that the larger (4" & 4.5") guns were not firing projectiles and full charges but just a primer to make a satisfying bang. You would be surprised by the level of noise that a primer makes in a long barrel.

During my RN service days I and my team were preparing for a shoot, the preps included testing firing circuits with primers. The test cases were chambered for .5" Tubes and we had loaded one into each of the four guns awaiting an opportunity to fire them. Unfortunately, on aircraft carriers, the "Airey-Fairies" ruled the roost over us lowly "Fish-Heads" and tended to obstruct our work. We were eventually given the OK to train the guns outboard and shoot, but only allowed three minutes. I ran from the bridge to the turrets and gave the order to shoot but realised too late that we hadn't removed the Tampions or muzzle covers. Well, those little 0.5" tubes, about the size of a .410 shotgun cartridge made an impressive job of blowing all four tampions clear of the ship to land in a nice group about 100 yards away.

No. 17 primers would make a much bigger bang.

gravelbelly

A great story. Love it. I remember I was told there were floating targets off shore that my friend looked at through binoculars and could see the hits. I am of course not sure if they used Bofors or the big guns on these. I think I remember him saying that water pumped through the gun or mount before the firing.
Again I was not there and wish I could have seen my collectables in action. All too long ago. I have a .5" tube in the collection, V S electric.Hard to find here.

the water pumped through the gun would probably be for the water cooled barrels,the 40mm bofors ,both twin and quad mounts had them