What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 makers i.d required

Wgreen

Hi to all I have a .303 with a headstamp of
R -18 VII-Z I know that rudge whitworth made .303 in ww1 is this a variation of the r.w HS or is this possibly a Remington made case any info would as allways be appreciated thanks wg
d0dda85464cb591b4dee8e498eb49b63.jpg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

The R looks very much like a K with an extra, rather thin, line.
Is the extra line definitely part of the letter or could it simply be a non-related mark on a K stamped case?

I think that is a "K" (for Kynoch) with a dent or blemish of some sort across the top. Certainly the style and layout fit those I have seen on other Kynoch rounds of this type and period. Royal Labs did some in "R (date) L" style, and occasionally the bunter gets damaged, and the R or L is lost or broken, but I do not think that is the case here.
Roger.

Hi thanks for the replies I have been looking hard at the HS and agree it does look like a k and kynoch had crossed my mind but the line at the top appears to be the same depth as the rest I even thought maybe the ejector claw from the rifle but that is between the 18 and z I have never seen a k headstamp quite like this but I guess like everyone else they made many different types over the years and it may just be down to a damaged stamp

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

1nYpwHrpRpaO+upGsuGuMQ_thumb_3b9.jpgUU31jBLZR+KmttyvlSm%tQ_thumb_3b6.jpgI say definitely a K as I show 5 variations from Kynoch 1918. More examples if you collect small and large print variations.