What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 1 1/2" Signal Cartridges

ron3350

I ask for information about these 1 1/2" Signal Flares. Why is a triangle symbol used instead of a coloured band?
Can anybody supply the pages from a manual showing all colours in this series?
The wad shows green in small letters. Yellow in large letters. I guess the triangles represent star colour like a coloured band.
Cases were made 1938 by ICI but loaded in 12/39 and 1/40. 6/41 for the loaded one.
Why did this series continue when coloured bands were also made in these years? Airforce use or special purpose? All help is appreciated. Ron.
UebTz%+mRxi9k3GKPWDJ1w_thumb_3c0.jpgfY99CsWEQD6rqB7WZopE9Q_thumb_3c1.jpgcA5JiXJfQRudoJHQ2MeU1Q_thumb_3c2.jpg

Ron,

Is it possible you've got Cartridges, Signal, Double Star (coloured Triangle) and Cartridges, Signal, G.R., (coloured bands)? Although the document does state later double star signals were marked with coloured bands.

TimG

21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg29.jpg30.jpg31.jpg

Tim. Thank you for the documents. It seems that the triangles were only used on double star shells.
I do not have these early years with coloured bands, only later 1945, 50 and 60's dates so my statement was incorrect and too broad.
I do not have any UK GR series shells, only Australian ones. I am still learning and appreciate all comments. Ron.

2WOavBykRMaevQxi6n207g_thumb_439.jpgNMyNtZtdSUmu%2g%XCGMDQ_thumb_43a.jpgKbLrhDStSTS8P6bGlMSf%g_thumb_438.jpgTwo new items. A red & yellow triangle double star and a red VT. Three triangle stars in a group photo.