Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium/Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 687 Posts
    There was a square charge (7 1/4 x 7 1/4 x 1 3/4 inches) with four magnets but it only weighed 5 pounds. I don't think it became a standard Engineer charge.

Jock Lewes (SAS) devised a charge comprising a ration bag, PE, incendiary material, primer and dual ignition for the attack of stationary aircraft. Recipes varied but PE(including Black PE) was a stock item albeit in short supply and effectively reserved for SF. There is a mention of the Lewes Bomb (so called) in an official publication:

Royal Engineers Training Memorandum No 3, 1942. Lewes is not mentioned and Nobels 808 substitutes for PE2/3/3A .
    Last edited by Bonnex; 11th September 2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Publication found.
    N.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonnex For This Useful Post:

Bellifortis (11th September 2018), Sir Roger (20th September 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MINENAZ16 View Post
    Hello Bonnex,
    The same from IWM :

Attachment 146201
    Yes, it is a very nice example of the charge with a flotation bag. The charge itself - the brass box plus AC Delay - was known as a Hornbill charge. A brass harness added either magnets(two sorts) to the charge or provided nail-gun sockets.
    N.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonnex For This Useful Post:

MINENAZ16 (12th September 2018), specopsaust (6th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnex View Post
    Yes, it is a very nice example of the charge with a flotation bag. The charge itself - the brass box plus AC Delay - was known as a Hornbill charge. A brass harness added either magnets(two sorts) to the charge or provided nail-gun sockets.
    I wonder if that was named after SRD's Operation HORNBILL, which later morphed into the disastrous second raid on Singapore Harbour, code-named Operation RIMAU? RIMAU was planned as a British SOE Force 136 operating using SRD personnel.

From the very start HORNBILL/RIMAU had planned to use SBs to attack the targets with limpets and indeed SBs were on the captured junk, the "Mustika" when the RIMAU party were compromised.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by specopsaust View Post
    I wonder if that was named after SRD's Operation HORNBILL, […].
    Yes, I believe that to be correct. Its formal 'VOCAB' name became Charge, Demolition, MSC, Mk I and, when combined with a 'Harness, Magnetic, for Charge, Demolition, MSC, Mk I' it became
    Charge, Demolition, MSC, Mk I, Magnetic. A nail gun version was available and the buoyancy aid could be added to any of the combinations.
    Last edited by Bonnex; 6th December 2018 at 11:48 AM.
    N.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12