Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Brit L28A1, L4A1 and L4A2 DRILL + L3 PRAC grens

what is the difference between the L28A1 (don't think there was an L28A2 etc?), L4A1 and L4A2 DRILL grens, all being visually similar?

other than the screw plug designs, what is the difference between the L3A1, -A2 and -A3 PRAC grens? would have though if correct shape and weight of L2 grens for throwing practice, there would be no need to further refine these??

re the 'Modified' L3s in bottom left of diagram below - were these official factory-made variants, or is this a suggestion for unit armourers modifying standard L3 types with pins for added realism? never seen L3s modfied like this on the surplus market...

always looking for inert baton rounds and accessories - please message me if you have any for sale/trade.

Thanks
    L28's have a solid aluminum body, the L4 bodies are the same as a live grenade but filled with a HE Substitute.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtlynn For This Useful Post:

batonroundcollector (12th September 2018)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    aha thanks so L4s will have the frag coil intact? so are solid aluminium grens easier or cheaper to produce than inert filled ones? guess the L4A2 is the L4A1 what the L2A2 is to the L2A1 (the live grens) - i.e. 'with a redesigned fuze well for ease of mass production'?
    always looking for inert baton rounds and accessories - please message me if you have any for sale/trade.

Thanks
    Solid aluminum bodies can simply be turned out of solid stock, so yes, easier and cheaper. They are also more durable, don't dent too much like the thin sheet steel bodies of the L4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtlynn For This Useful Post:

batonroundcollector (13th September 2018)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    just bought an L28A1, to go with L4A2 I have; however, am unsure about L30A2 fuze that came with L28A1 as it is different to L30A2 I have with my L4A2 (it could well be it is just earlier/later manufacture, even though kept same designation?) - see below (fuse I got with L28A1 that I am questioning is without the drill det piece - top one in first pic):

the one I got with L28A1 has no washer, no recess in lip above where washer would be, deeper /longer thread, and the det plug does not look it would have profile to fit the drill det piece that other L30A2 has...

is this L30A2/the parts original to L28A1 I have? any thoughts?
    Last edited by batonroundcollector; 13th September 2018 at 06:32 PM.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    btw... this 'L28A1' (at least marked as such) here is of interest as looks like it has sheet steel body (end cap missing) rather than solid aluminium body??

http://lexpev.nl/grenades/europe/uni.../l28serie.html
    Last edited by batonroundcollector; 15th September 2018 at 12:26 AM.