What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soviet impact fuze V-429 B-429 , thread size

FCSA-UK

Hi,

I'm trying to fit a Soviet impact fuze V-429 / B-429 into a Soviet 100mm HE shell (as used with the 100mm x 695mm cartridge I believe for the T54/55) - the original fuze is missing, the thread in the shell is somewhat corroded and has had a few knocks so I need to buy or have made a suitable tap to clean the thread up.

The thread appears to be M36 x 2.5mm, although the thread on the fuze is somewhat 'flatted' and measures 36.4mm OD, i.e. its not a sharp W (apologies for the vague description).

Did the Soviets standardize their large calibre artillery/tank shell threads, and if they did does anyone know if it is as described above, or something very similar?

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi, the thread size is W 36,14x1/10"
on some blueprints also as Sp 36,18x1/10" (Sp as special)
Please see the attached RGM-2 fuze with the same thread.
The slight difference in diameter is given by the measurement before or after surface coating
Bob

Attachments

• rgm2.jpg
    rgm2.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
ok many thanks, that's going to be tricky to find a tap in that size, confused as to why they are mixing metric with imperial!

Hi,

In the book "Руководство Взрыватель В-429" (see cover below) :

"Головной взрыватель В-429 (рис. l) ударного действия,предохранительного типа, с дальним взведением предназначается
для комплектации осколочных и осколочно-фугасных
выстрелов к пушкам калибров 85-152 мм."

Short version : fuze V429 is used on HE FRAG projectiles from 85 to 152mm

Image11.jpg

S.

ok at least I know I have the correct fuze. Contacting a friend at a local precision engineering firm to get a tap made.

Because the crests of the thread on the fuze are flattened I suspect that the major diameter might be closer to 37mm and then machined back to 36.18mm - going to be an interesting project.

Just ran some calculations, the nearest imperial standard size is 1 7/16" = 36.5mm so I guess this is where the size originated, 1 7/16" x 10tpi

Many thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
This may help Your friend.
Upper part is the fuze
Lower the thread in the projectile body.

The mix of the imperial amd metric is caused by the fact that you need to manufacture an imperial thread on metric calibrated machines :)

Bob

Attachments

• thread.jpg
    thread.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: