What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 23 MK3 Mills question

Tony-

Hello,

I have a Mills body dated June 1918 with the features of a No. 36. I don't know when the No. 36 was first used so would like to ask if a June 1918 Mills could be a No. 23 MK3, a No. 36 or if it could be either?

Thanks
Tony

Could be either . You do find 1917 dated 36's & 1918 dated 23/3's . Hope this helps .

Thanks very much for the reply, I didn't know the No. 36 was manufactured that early.

As a No. 5 filler screw is too small to fit, would that make it a No. 36? Unfortunately I don't have a No. 36 filler screw to try for size.

The 23/3 & 36 had the same filler screw [larger than the 5] . The 23/3 & 36 bodies are identical .

Tony. The 36 and the 23mklll ran side by side until the end of WW1. The 23mklll being used with a rod and the 36 with a gas check disk.

Thanks a lot to both of you!

I searched the archives and going by photos assumed the 23 MK3 and No. 36 were the same but couldn't find anything to confirm it.

I didn't know the rod wasn't used on the No. 36 either so that's something else I've learned.