What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Artillery Ammunition – Volume 2 Breech Loading Guns By David J Ibbetson

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I have just finished reading David Ibbetson’s latest volume on British Artillery Ammunition. This volume deals with Breech Loading ammunition. It is impressive from the moment the wrapping is peeled away to reveal a book of some 700 or so A4 pages exquisitely bound in cherry red linen reminiscent of the bindings of the Treatises of Ammunition. The association with the Treatises does not stopat the cover; the book is profusely illustrated with coloured plates from the Treatises on Ammunition, on Ordnance, on Carriages, and the Royal Laboratory lithographic plates issued for instructional purposes.

Having spent most of my adult life searching for copies of Treatises, Textbooks and Handbooks on Ammunition I was struck by the satisfaction that David’s book will give to researchers, collectors and museum custodians unable to access the originals of the three dozen principal texts David has used in the writing of this book.

By way of preliminaries the first section of the book provides information on propellants, explosives, metal and paints used in the manufacture ofammunition. A profusely illustrated section follows covering the historical and technical development of the Breech Loading Gun, together with manufacturing techniques for the guns (including aiming rifles and sub-calibre guns) and ammunition. The next section on ‘Ignition’ is most certainly the best treatment on Tubes that I have seen.

The core of the book, some six hundred pages, details the ammunition for every BL ordnance equipment type in British Service between 1880 and the 1925 from the 10 pound mountain gun to the 18-inch Howitzer. The format comprises: a description of the ordnance piece and its carriage or mounting; details of the cartridges used with the equipment, including Drill, Blank and Saluting cartridges; and details of the shot and shell, including HE, Shrapnel, Star,Chemical, Practice and Drill, introduced for the weapon. The quality and quantity of colour plates used to illustrate this part of the book is particularly impressive.

David is passionate about this subject and his enthusiasm and eye for detail come across on every page of this volume as it did in the first volumeof the series. I commend it to you.

PM 'hampshireman' if you are interested in acquiring a copy.

Last edited:
"British Artillery Ammunition, Volume 3 - Quick Fire" will probably be ready in two years time. Then I will endeavour to return to B.L. and Q.F. from 1925 to the end of WW2 but this will depend on obtaining all the information and copyright approval. This is a slow and expensive business and as a retirement project it is a task that is far larger than first envisaged. Hampshireman

DSCN1905.JPGDSCN1907.JPGDSCN1908.JPGDSCN1909.JPGDSCN1910.JPGDSCN1911.JPGDSCN1912.JPGDSCN1913.JPG As requested some images showing the format. Be aware that these images are seriously compressed to get them to upload to here; the printed pages are very sharp.