What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" 20CWT completed

Gspragge

Premium Member
Finally found a fuze for this round and completed it, 1937 case, undated projectile, 42 fuze.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 209
No 221 1 SM/C 3 42

If I should be using something else, I'll never find it over here ~

( I would have prefered an earlier date or no date, but I haven't seen one of these
in two years now so it's use what you can find. )

Last edited:
According to the 1936 Textbook of Ammunition, the later era 16lb HE AA shells were fitted with either a No. 80/44 or a No. 199 fuze. The 80/44 was used with either a No. 8 gaine and No. 16 adapter or a No. 9 gaine. The 199 fuze was used with a No. 9 gaine. The 80/44 was a 22 second burning fuze, whereas the 199 was a 25 second fuze. Looking at the 16lb shell muzzle velocity and the rate of climb data published elsewhere, I think that the 199 fuze (25s) would be required to achieve the maximum ceiling height of 22,000 feet.

There is not a lot of difference between a 199 and 221 fuze, with some 221s converted from 199s.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Nice round Gspragge.

Thought you may be interested in a Canadian 3" 20CWT round i purchased about six years ago.
Apart from projectile body (no date) all parts are dated 1940, and has its transit nose fuze protector which was with the round when i purchased it.

Mine has the No199 nose fuze. It also has stencilling on the shell case which i was told is original but i know some collectors like to do their own stencils. Maybe someone on this site can help me out on that one.

Can you remove the projectile from your case, if so, would you be kind enough to post a photo or two of below the driving band and base. Mine is crimped into the case so cannot be removed.

Are these rounds complete really as rare as members are saying?

Best Regards,
BEAR.

3" 20CWT ROUND.jpgCASE STENCILS.jpgHEADSTAMP.jpgPROJECTILE STAMPS.jpgNO199 NOSE FUZE.jpgFUZE.jpgNOSEFUZE PROTECTOR.jpg

Last edited: