What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on fuze for 8,8 cm shell

Tony Williams

A friend has sent me the image shown below, with an enquiry about some markings on the fuze for this shell. What are they, and what is their purpose? Does anyone have a clearer image? I know very little about fuzes, and would be grateful if anyone can help with this one.

AArgh - I'm having problems with getting this image to upload - it keeps getting blocked for some reason. Anyway, the fuze is an A.Z. 23/28, and the markings on it are close to the where the fuze enters the shell. There is a circular element in the middle (a screw setting?) with lines connecting with symbols of some kind at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock. Might this be for adjusting the time delay setting, or something?

Last edited:
Hi Tony,
I am no expert but i can offer you some pictures and my understanding of the fuze operation. The AZ 23/28 was for the King tiger 8.8cm i forget the designation of that round off the top of my head, the normal 8.8cm HE for AA Flak 36 and Tiger tank was fitted with the AZ 23, but i await correction. The fuzes are impact type with the setting option to be Safe / Instantaneous / Delay but maybe not in that order.
Best Weasel

AZ 23 28 New.jpgAZ 23 28 New 2.jpg

This fuze is similar to the A.Z.23 used on the 105mm howitzer shell. The designation A.Z.23/28 denotes use with the 8.8cm Sprenggranate ( HE ) shell.
Fuzes were shipped and fitted with the selector set to 'O' in the 12 0'clock position ( 'O' standing for 'ohne versoegurung' or 'superquick', otherwise 'instantaneous' ). To select the alternative delay setting, the screw is turned through 90deg to align to 'M' & 'V' in the 9 o'clock/3 o'clock positions. This stands for 'mit versoegurung' or 'with delay' in which a suitable pellet would give a 0.11 second explosive delay.

I've taken this information from the very comprehensive US technical manual TM- E9-369A for the German 88-mm Antiaircraft Gun Materiel, dated 29 June 1943.

info and drawings (waffenrevue ?)

Attachments

• Aufschlagzünder 23-28 (A.Z. 23-28)_1.jpg
    Aufschlagzünder 23-28 (A.Z. 23-28)_1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Aufschlagzünder 23-28 (A.Z. 23-28)_2.jpg
    Aufschlagzünder 23-28 (A.Z. 23-28)_2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 20
  • Aufschlagzünder 23-28 (A.Z. 23-28)_3.jpg
    Aufschlagzünder 23-28 (A.Z. 23-28)_3.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Aufschlagzünder 23-28 (A.Z. 23-28)_4.jpg