What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15 cm SK L/43 Krupp Kanone M16 Casing and Wicker Carrying Case

doppz92

Premium Member
Hello,

Seems like weekends follow one another and bring the same calibre home!
I found yesterday this wicker container with it's content: a good condition brass casing for the 15cm SK L/43 Krupp Gun Model 1916. Although the casing is pretty common, I'd never seen the wicker container before. It's the same type of construction as the 7.7cm ones, except there's only one instead of 3.
The real surprise was when I got home and took the casing off the container, only to realise the casing was complete with the lid and handle and little (but mainly iledgible) label dated 10 - 18.
Incredible to think these things stayed together for so long!
However, I have a few interrogations:
I wonder if the missing lid was also of the same kind as the metal one used on the 7.7cm. Could someone shed some light on this?
The container was made longer by a couple of inches, but the casing with the lid did fit in the original container, so why was it refurbished to be longer (similar to some of the 3-round container for the 7.7cm made longer to accomodate longer rounds). Is it for a different casing?
Thanks a lot for your comments.
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi Frank,

Very, very nice set to find, never seen this before, compleet with the lid, a very hard to find set in this complete and perfect condition.

Thanks thekees, I guess it is scarce and I must say I am very, very, happy with my find as it exactly fits the period I am interested in!

I hope someone can help as to why the casing carrier was "elongated" if I dare say and also provides a drawing or even better, a picture of the lid that is supposed to cover and protect the head of the casing when in place. I would have thought these casings were carried in a wooden box, I was obviously wrong, but what strikes me is that it seems the container is rather late war made and still uses pre-war whicker, when, for example, the 7.7cm 3-round containers ware made of ersatz materials such as carboard and bark...

Best. Frank.

Last edited: