What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 47mm 1885 TR Canister?

doppz92

Premium Member
I also found this canister, all brass and cnstruction is just like the 37-85 ones, it's just longer, pointed and 47mm. I didn't know such canisters existed, but it fits nicely on a case and is in perfect condition, although empty.
Can someone confirm I was right putting the case and the canister together?
And I couldn't resist showing my other 47 rounds, which include a sub-caliber shell designed to use a 11mm Gras cartridge.
If you have other 1885 shells, I will be very pleased to see them.
Thanks
Frank

IMG_0806.jpgIMG_0807.jpgIMG_0809.jpgIMG_0810.jpgIMG_0811.jpgIMG_0813.jpgIMG_0814.jpg

I have this for the Revolving Cannon which is the short Hotchkiss sized case as shown here.
How ever Hotchkiss listed a canister for the 47mm L40 gun which is the regular 3pr gun, so the French Navy
may well have had a canister on issue for this gun. But if so is it the same one as in the drawing or on this post, the length might be different.
Also are these French 47mm Hotchkiss pattern cases or the longer Tube Cannon cases. I don't think the Tube Guns would have used canister as they were sub-calibre practice barrel inserts.

Attachments

• 47mmFr1888-2.jpg
    47mmFr1888-2.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for your input, I think MINENAZ16 is right, however, for the sake of it here is the length of the canister: 170mm, this is excluding the prongs. Casing is the 1885 one, but since I "reunited" the canister and the casing, it doesn't mean it's the right one. I never saw one before, are these canisters really scarce or is it me just being unlucky? Cheers. Frank

Last edited:
I think you are quite lucky indeed. The 5mm difference in length would be accounted
for once the prongs were folded in around the steel disc adding some length as it's
a rounded fold over.

I was asked if the two rounds used the same canisters. Both used the same sized balls, the R.C. loading is 61 and the 3pr is 75 so the
Hotchkiss R.C. canister must be shorter by a row or two so so maybe 3/4" - 1 1/4" inch sort of difference.