What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chamier Grenade

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
In rummaging through some information on the 'Chamier' grenade for one of our members I happened across the attached photograph which I thought worth sharing. Frederick William Chamier, a London Consulting Engineer, teamed up with William Curtis, an officer in the Merchant Navy to devise an impact grenade (see UK Patent 125100). Chamier also held patents GB125436 and GB125626.

The three grenades on the 'middle shelf' are after Chamier. The accompanying 100 year old letter (thanks to Snufkin and or TimG) shows that a version of the Chamier Grenade underwent trials in France and seems to indicate a degree of frustration in having to test yet another so-called 'allways acting' grenade.

ChamierCompressed.JPGChamier DSC07503 5 sep 18.JPG

I have a Chamier grenade that is missing the base plug and pull-ring. I was pleased to follow the old postings and learn about this item. Thanks.

Bonnex,

The document wasn't from me, however one of the Chamiers could be from our collection.

TimG