What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last Antique show of the season ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
No ordnance to be found (anything else at stupid prices) so I did what any one would do
and hit the booze - except someone got it all before me
and the Jug was empty -- a late issue Rum Jug 1945 - 1970
type in mint condition. $25cdn = 14.3 pounds, fair enough I guess.

Attachments

• jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 46
Hi, these SRD jugs are pretty common on this side of the pond, but I've never seen one whith the whicker around it. Is it because it's a late one? Did the WW1 and WW2 also have the whicker protection? Thanks. Frank

1 gallon , the wicker wrap was standard except late ww2 RN when there was a wicker shortage and they were packed two to a box
with packing. See the attached article. It's harder to find an intact thick wickered jug. I never had one before as I collected ww1 and could never tell
ww1 jugs from ww2 jugs in wicker.

As mine was empty I can only think that "Waffy the Pirate" beat me to it ~ :xd:

Attachments

• rum-4.jpg
    rum-4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 29
  • Rum-3.jpg
    Rum-3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Rum-2.jpg
    Rum-2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Rum-1.jpg
    Rum-1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
When I was in 16 Para Brigade in the early 1960s, we had wicker rum jars without a red band.
The rum was issued for what was known as 'hard lying'. If no rum was available, cheese was issued in lieu.

Cheese in lieu of Rum, that would have been pleasing ! ~ Indeed only Navel jugs had the red band so one didn't get into the vinegar instead .

Not sure "Waffy the Pirate" would have been very happy with cheese, I certainly wouldn't... :cheers:
Anyway, thank you guys for sharing your knowledge. Frank

Very interesting. So was it only the army who issued rum in SRD stamped jars without wicker? I've seen SRD stamped jars in half, one and two gallon sizes.

No, the Army jugs are according to the article wicker wrapped and in boxes with packing. This makes some sense as the army jugs would have much more handling than a navy jug which went from a storeroom onto a ship directly. it was the Navy later in ww2 that packed them in boxes plain due to a shortage of wicker. I guess reverted back to wicker as soon as they could. I'm no expert at all, but maybe the SRD is more of an army thing ?