What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartridge QF Separate 18Pr

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
In response to a member's question about something I wrote ages ago on 18Pr QF Separate herewith a drawing dated 1935. I couldn't find my original text but seemingly trials were done c. 1935-37 using Mk IV cartridge cases shortened to 10.53 inches, 9.35 inches and 7.9 inches.

DD(L)6508 18 pr separate.jpg

I'm curious as to the reason to have a SL 18pr unless a higher angle carriage was also tested to give a more howitzer like weapon.

The 18pr was superseded by the 25pr which used a separate charge so maybe it was a development thing ?
Yes, I am sure that must be the case. There are quite a lot of OB minutes/procs on the 18Pr/3.45-in/25Pr development work although I could not find any direct reference to the particular drawing in OB Procs. The attached drawing of threaded 18pr cases might be of interest.

DD(L)6939 18pr Screw Threadv3.jpg

So what projectile would the QF seperate fire? I have a S/L projectile with an odd drive(rotating)band, looks like a 25pdr band, but the shell is definitely a 18pdr S/L. Regards Ozzi.

So what projectile would the QF seperate fire? I have a S/L projectile with an odd drive(rotating)band, looks like a 25pdr band, but the shell is definitely a 18pdr S/L. Regards Ozzi.

I am sorry to say that I don't know. There is a feint hand written note on one drawing of a cartridge saying "22 lb projectile?" and another reference suggesting that QF Separate would solve a problem where short range practice was the only option for training. If I come across anything that looks useful I will post it.