What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling to find a colour match...

starshell

Premium Member
Good morning all,

IMG_2692.jpgIMG_2693.jpgIMGP6046.jpg

I am restoring a French 105mm HE shell, (pictured above with a French 90mm) both Great war period, and am struggling to find the Sand/tan/Buff colour that the 90mm has on its ogive.The idea is to paint the upper section of the 105 in an identical colour.
Despite what I thought were good matches, they've turned out to be way off the mark.

Interestingly, the big French 155mm I have (pictured) has its original paint and is a perfect match to what the 90mm has.
So whoever was involved in painting the 90mm had done their homework very well.

So I guess my question is: Does anyone here have any idea which shade/colour may have been used. I've checked BS381 and RAL colour charts, even scraped the barrel with Homebase and B&Q, to no avail and I want to get it right.
If I can find the colour that the 90mm has, my task is over...

Many thanks in advance!
D

Hello starshell,

Nothing about the yellow RAL but the first shell is not 90mm but a 95mm model 1914.

Regards

Minenaz16,
Your absolutely right and I even posted the shell on Bocn as a 95mm a couple of years back.
For some reason I have 90mm stuck in my head.
Ignore me, I'm getting old.....
Cheers.