What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII British 57mm / 6 Pdr Antitank Gun Case

M8owner

I have a 6 Pdr/7 Cwt case made in the UK, but it does not have its primer. Which primer model number do I seek? I have another question that I will go ahead and ask here about British ordnance, "Do the nose caps that screw onto the tips of No. 117 and 119 fuses stay on or are they supposed to be removed before firing?" Thank you for your help.

Primer No. 15 or No. 34

The screw on cap is to be removed immediately before firing. However, I recall reading a document regarding leaving the cap on with the view of incorporating a very small time delay. I can't remember if the document was regarding trials or instructions.

TimG

Primer Percussion No 15 for everything but APDS which takes Primer Percussion No 34.
In both cases the fuse safety cap is to be removed immediately before firing. They are there to protect the thin brass striker cover from damage during handling and transit. If the cap is damaged before firing the striker head may not come up thus freeing the first safety devices.

Last edited:
I have 3 APDS rounds, all with original APDS SV stencilling on the case heads that have No 15 primers. I found, in the bottoms of many shells craters, quite a few 119 fuzes with the caps still in place. Reason being, I was told by an old gun sergeant, was for a slight delay effect when firing at entrenched enemy. Makes sense to me, and the fuzes had still functioned perfectly.

I think these are Canadian but all 15 II primers 41-43.

Attachments

• DSCF1409.jpg
    DSCF1409.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1410.jpg
    DSCF1410.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF1412.jpg
    DSCF1412.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1413.jpg
    DSCF1413.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
One of them is Canadian..RM/C. The other is British...ECC being for Edward Curran, Cardiff.....NOT, as you so often see written in so called "well informed" blogs..Elswick Cartridge Company....that is EOC...Elswick Ordnance Corporation. Fascinating site this. Gives me hours of pleasure and there is SOOOOOO much info on here.

RM/C - Robert Mitchell & Co. Ltd., Ville, St. Laurent, Canada.

TimG