What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for ID on an unknown projectile

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Measures 76mm, my guess based on construction and the very limited markings is maybe Czech?

By the construction I believe it is a combination HE and shrapnel projectile, fairly complicated in design. It is two piece construction, the forward section for HE and the rear for shrapnel. It has a PTTF fuze, with a booster attached. The flash for the ignition of the shrapnel half is routed around/through the HE portion, through a tube and then out of sight to a central area where it vents through a gap around a central tube and into a cover which mates up with the flash tube. There seems to be a space between the bottom bulkhead seen from the inside and what is seen from the outside. The fuze is marked as a VZ-19, the only marking on the projectile is a small stamp on the shrapnel pusher plate, an "SW" (Skoda Works?).

Photo 1 - the overview of the projo, 2 - view of the fuze with booster, 3- the slot and tube in the HE portion where the flash is transferred to the shrapnel part of the body, 4 - shrapnel portion with flash tube and pusher plate, 5 - the HE portion upside down with the central tube and cover to the side, 6 - HE portion with the central tube, flash appears to vent through the gap around the circumference where the tube meets the body, 7 HE portion with cover in place which would presumably direct the flash into the tube (they match), 8 - pusher plate marking, 9 - fuze marking.

Anyone know this projectile? any documentation?

DSC_7603.jpg DSC_7604.jpg DSC_7605.jpg DSC_7608.jpg DSC_7609.jpg DSC_7610.jpgDSC_7611.jpg DSC_7612.jpg DSC_7613.jpg

Hey jeff its a czech 8 cm combination schrapnel VZ-19 actual caliber is 76.5 cm see pics

Attachments

• Obrázek (16).jpg
    Obrázek (16).jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 8 cm vz 19 Schrapnel.jpg
    8 cm vz 19 Schrapnel.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 52
SW means "Skoda Werke". I think the disc with SW logo is probably from old wartime stocks because after the war when Czechoslovakia became independent Skoda not longer used "SW" to get rid of the german lanquage monogram.

minen its a t&p fuze it ejects the HE part and the shrapnel when the high explosive part hits the ground the percusian part function

Hello Blu97,
I thought Vz19 fuze was a time fuze (your diagram shows a T and P fuze)

"vz.19" just means "Model 1919", the year of introduction. It isn't the full name of the fuze. It's the same with M.15 or "vz.15" fuzes, some very different of them are exisiting like "7,5 cm M.15 G-Schrapnel" fuze and "10 cm M.15 Schrapnel" fuze. The czech language names of these fuzes are near to the old Austro-hungarian naming system.

I have an almost identical fuze. The graduations are going from 0 to 31. It has no markings but I always thought it was the vz 19. Does anyone know what this fuze is called.?

Attachments

• C4CD4E22-C1F0-4C9A-8E01-7C5810512E8B.jpeg
    C4CD4E22-C1F0-4C9A-8E01-7C5810512E8B.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 61D59F2C-2273-41DE-B5F4-EB04CC0DD057.jpeg
    61D59F2C-2273-41DE-B5F4-EB04CC0DD057.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
for the upper fuze's name just a guess: "8 cm ostrý dvojitý g-šrapnelu zapalovač vz.19" (8 cm live double action HE-shrapnel fuze Model 1919)

For @greif's fuze: No idea because it only has a single second scale on the lower ring. The other fuze has two hectometer scales (I think one with a super-charge and one without).

Last edited:
Yes, or perhaps my fuze has a scale in seconds and is meant for another type of shell.

Last edited:
So, doing some research I found the VZ 19 in TM 9-1985-3. Is this the same fuze, or did the Germans have their own?

Joe

Attachments

• TM%209-1985-3%20German_0091.jpg
    TM%209-1985-3%20German_0091.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 22
I have an almost identical fuze. The graduations are going from 0 to 31. It has no markings but I always thought it was the vz 19. Does anyone know what this fuze is called.?

Hello,
Your fuze is different form Vz19 (8cm Ostrý Granátový šrapnel zapalovač vzor 19), look the same as this one, I try to ID :

CZECH1.jpgCZECH2.jpg

It seems this fuze series already existed in the austro-hungarian empire as "8 cm Brisanz Schrapnell Doppelzünder M.17" but sadly I have never seen any drawings. So it must not be czechoslovakian and could be austro-hungarian too.

In my opinion because Greif's fuze has no factory stamps it's unusual for a czechoslovakian and also unusual for an austro-hungarian fuze. Maybe exported to an other country?