What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They Shall Not Grow Old

reccetrooper

Premium Member
UK members check cinemas local to you. This film documentary is being shown for one night only, at 18:00 on Tuesday 16th October, at multiple locations across the UK.

[FONT=&amp]They Shall Not Grow Old uses the voices of the veterans combined with original archival footage to bring to life the reality of war on the front line for a whole new generation. Footage has been colourised, converted to 3D and transformed with modern production techniques to present never before seen detail.

[/FONT]
https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion...lff-62-peter-jacksons-they-shall-not-grow-old

Attachments

• B977B074-07CC-498C-86BB-741A95CF06D8.jpeg
    B977B074-07CC-498C-86BB-741A95CF06D8.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 40
I’ve just got home after seeing this film. It is a really interesting film, in style, concept, and in content.

Original black and white silent archive film has been restored, enhanced, and play speeds adjusted where necessary.

Much of this restored footage has then been colourised, which really brings to life the people and scenes.

Professional lip-readers were used to analyse what was being said by the men in the footage and a sound track was voiced over using people from the areas appropriate to the regiments in the footage, so that voices and accents could be as close as possible.

Artillery noise soundtrack material was recorded during live fire gunnery practice by the NZ Army.

The commentary is entirely taken from sound archives of interviews with WW1 veterans that were recorded in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

My one caution to anyone that may have the opportunity to see this in the future, is the large number of dead and wounded (men and horses) with wounds that appear all the more shocking in the colourised footage.

Last edited:
Watched this film with the wife this evening.
I'm not ashamed to say it bought a tear to my eye at various points.
A completely new and shocking perspective of life on the western front in all its horror and glory.

This should be a part of the national curriculum, although the more shocking images would possibly prevent that....
A must see film. Tragic, funny, horrific and deeply poignant. We'll not see their like again.

I’ve just got home after seeing this film. It is a really interesting film, in style, concept, and in content.

Original black and white silent archive film has been restored, enhanced, and play speeds adjusted where necessary.

Much of this restored footage has then been colourised, which really brings to life the people and scenes.

Professional lip-readers were used to analyse what was being said by the men in the footage and a sound track was voiced over using people from the areas appropriate to the regiments in the footage, so that voices and accents could be as close as possible.

Artillery noise soundtrack material was recorded during live fire gunnery practice by the NZ Army.

The commentary is entirely taken from sound archives of interviews with WW1 veterans that were recorded in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

My one caution to anyone that may have the opportunity to see this in the future, is the large number of dead and wounded (men and horses) with wounds that appear all the more shocking in the colourised footage.

And for some loading/unloading sounds, maybe the borrowed 18pr cases from a NZ BOCN member..;)

This is a cinema release here in Australia, unfortunately not showing in cinemas anywhere near my local area. I shall wait with bated breath for an online showing via ABC or SBS.
Having seen the various excerpts and trailers, it astonishes me just how a simple colourisation process can bring a photo to life, but colourise film content, correct the frame rates of said film, adding lip-read dialogue and expertly-researched foley and sound effects it's going to be amazing. Add to that the narration of the long-passed Tommies and I think it's going to be an amazing tear-jerker of a documentary.

Just finished watching, I had the actual movie for a couple of weeks, but needed silence and nobody interrupting me every 5 min. What a great endeavour!!!! My favourite moment is when a large British field gun fires near a Belgian farm house and plenty of shingles fall off the roof. One thing new for me was how many British troops had a helmet cover on, I own plenty of them and not a single cover. Very highly recommended film. Please, watch this and NOT "Bird Box" this is a piece of trash in my opinion.

Last edited:
Excellent film, as has been said many times over. I watched it online a month ago and went to see it in 3D in a theater on Dec 17th. Much better in the theater. Almost as good as the film itself was the 30 minute trailer after the movie featuring Peter Jackson describing the process of film restoration, colorization, production, editing, etc. I don't believe this portion can be seen online, only added to the theatrical release version.

I'm still not sure why the movie was released in such a limited fashion, showing only on December 17th and 27th across America. I've heard from several people who missed it as the available showings were sold out in their area. A second opportunity may be available as there are rumors of a re-release in the U.S. a few months into 2019.