What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Projectiles?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Guys,

Can anyone ID these two "projectiles"?

Unfortunately I have no information on the measurements - the RHS one looks 75mm to me?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• H5403-L154988499.jpg
    H5403-L154988499.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 99
The one on the right is a 105mm Tank Gun M468 TP-T projectile in the shape of a HEP-T or WP-T projectile. It is missing the tracer on the base. The cartridge assembly is designated M467 for the M68 Tank Gun. The projectile ID info is stamped on the body just above the top rotating band and can be seen in your photo.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/91427-M468-105-mm-tpt?highlight=M467

The piece on the left is the windscreen from a 5 inch 38 cal navy AP projectile. This windscreen would have colored dye inside, different color for each ship. When the shells impact, water goes through holes under the copper nose cone and forces the dye out through the 4 copper plugs that are spaced radially around this piece, near the bottom.

Last edited:
Thanks Hazord - I was also wondering what those copper circular discs were for....so if each ship had separate colour dyes, then I gather this was for training /practice /war games?

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Yes, so multiple ships shooting at the same target could have their hits recognized.