What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI horses

sksvlad

U.S. soldiers pay tribute to the 8 million horses, donkeys and mules that lost their lives during World War 1. (1918)

These soldiers are paying their respect to the fallen animals that died by their side. This consists of roughly 650 soldiers standing in a formation which that perfectly resembles a horses head. Not in a creepy Godfather sort-of-way - but in a very loving sort-of-way.

Eight million war horses were killed during WW I; while one million horses left the UK for the Western Front and only 60,000 returned. The horses helped carry food, water, ammunition, and medical supplies to men on the front.

mule.jpg

I believe many did not return as they were sold as meat to the French, a google search might confirm this if anyone is interested.

As you walk amongst the war graves of France you will see many from the Army Service Corps. These men were delivering supplies and ammunition the front line. The Germans used to shell roads and junctions at night knowing their horses and general service wagons would be on the road. I often think that for every ASC man buried there were probably 2 or 3 horses killed.

Nice photo, thanks for showing us.