What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5" 60Pr shrapnel body?

Wiltshire lad

Hello,
I bought a group of shrapnel shells, ( all fired, empty,and well coroded ) most were 18pr's, one 13, and a couple of 12pr's. There was also one larger calibre, basically 5 inch across the base, which i thought was a 60pr.
My query is that it has a narrow 16mm drive band, and seems shorter than it should be at 10 and a half inches/260mm. The base was quite thick with corrosion, and having cleaned it up as best i would like there is traces which i think is 5 IN HOW, and below 90 degrees on the left a F and below that a V?
I have pictured it between a 18pr and a 4.5 inch for scale, i have cleaned them up over the summer and replaced fuzes/adaptors but i am not sure what to look for to correctly refit this one, which may not even be a 60pr?IMG_2691.jpgIMG_2695.jpg

Help, any ideas?