What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Inch cartridge case

Bockscar

I came across this cartridge case recently at an antiques centre and as I don't collect too much of the larger items I passed on purchasing it. I did however take a picture of the headstamp for the members perusal. No tape measure on me at the time, so no overall length, but it was about, say, 250 mm long or thereabouts....I think!
Im going to hand it over to the members for more information on this case.

Bockscar.

image.jpg

U.S. Navy Landing Gun (LG). Same case as the 3 inch 23 Caliber navy case. Used primarily by the Marines, horse drawn known also as the 3inch/21 cal.

Last edited:
Thanks Hazord! That answers just about all there is to know about this case!
The " LG " in the headstamp had me thinking Land Gun....couldn't have been much closer could I ?!

thanks again,

Bockscar.

Interesting primer, as I have seen more often in US marine cases (WW1 cases with 1939 dated primers).

The primer headstamp is in itself interesting given the different dates between it and the cartridge case....
the primer was of the extended type inside the case, say about 50 mm long.

Bockscar.

I have came across an article on the IAA forum archives dating from 2008 dealing with this cartridge case. Some nice illustrations of the cases along with their projectiles. I wasn't too far away with my estimated cartridge length at 250R mm compared with the actual size of 234R mm.

Last edited: