What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 7.5cm SprGr dated 1938

super7

Got this unfired shell the other day in a bulk buy (of course totally inert). Not my expertise but I was told it is a German 7.5cm SprGr. No further details known. It is nicely marked with the date 1938 and the number 6689, length is 290 mm. Bit of paint left as well. Nice overall condition and good thread to accept a fuze but I have no idea what type of fuze it needs to complete.

Additional information highly appreciated. Thx.

DSC03936a.jpg DSC03937a.jpg DSC03938a.jpg

Regards, Jan

Bob,

Yes, that looks like the paintscheme on my shell. Thanks. Judging by the previous entries on BOCN it looks like these shells do turn up from time to time so how rare could it be? Just curious.

Regards, Jan

Hi Jan,
hard to say how common they are. I have no intention to comb Afghan flea markets to get one :)

Bob

Bob,

One of the articles mentions that not all shells got to the land of destination but ended up in Italy. Most probably the reason why we see them turning up in Europe.

Regards, Jan

a lot of them came from Austria and were sold on collectors market. But it was a long time ago, I think 10-15 years.

PS: I have the fuze, but I am looking for a shell :)

The british forces dumped 1000 waggon-loads of factory-new ammunition in an Austrian lake in 1945. The effort to get this out is still going on.
Bob,

Yes, that looks like the paintscheme on my shell. Thanks. Judging by the previous entries on BOCN it looks like these shells do turn up from time to time so how rare could it be? Just curious.

Regards, Jan