What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57x438 L70 Bofors

94thFS95

Premium Member
Hello all,
Recently I bid on and won a 57mm case. When it arrived, I realized it wasn’t a WWII case as listed, but rather a modern 57mm L70. I’m pleased about this actually, but would like to complete the round with a projectile. I have found about every blurry photo available online and have been able to approximately scale the fuse, rotating band and ogive taper, but wonder if anyone here has one they could share a picture of to verify my measurements. I also have no clear idea what the ink stampings say. I’ll be making a US Navy BAE Systems version, if possible.
I recently bought a bunch of equipment from a machine shop that did contract work for Lockheed, etc, so I have the metal lathe, stock, and even a Gorton artillery engraver, but need sound referece pics! Can anyone help?
-Steve

Tony,
Thanks for the links! Is your green projectile stamped? Stampings are one thing I haven’t been able to discern from pictures online.
As for the measurements I came up with:
675mm overall cartridge (From BAE PDF), leaving the projectile and fuse at 237mm projecting from case.
Rotating band at 12mm wide
fuse starting at 179mm from case mouth, and 36mm wide at its base.
overall fuse length 56mm (3P type modeled)
Ogive starts at 85mm from top of rotating band.
These were scaled off of available pictures, NO IDEA how far off I may be!
-Steve

Last edited:
Thanks HarryG! What is the height of the lettering on the green one? Out of curiosity, what type of projectile is the aluminum looking one?
-Steve

Tony,
Thanks for the links! Is your green projectile stamped? Stampings are one thing I haven’t been able to discern from pictures online.
As for the measurements I came up with:
675mm overall cartridge (From BAE PDF), leaving the projectile and fuse at 237mm projecting from case.
Rotating band at 12mm wide
fuse starting at 179mm from case mouth, and 36mm wide at its base.
overall fuse length 56mm (3P type modeled)
Ogive starts at 85mm from top of rotating band.
These were scaled off of available pictures, NO IDEA how far off I may be!
-Steve

I'll do what I can with a tape measure for the big measurements, which is not the most precise method!

Both of mine measure 650 mm overall, give or take an mm or two (437-438 mm case length)
Rotating band: 14 mm wide
Fuze starts 156 mm from case mouth
Widest part of fuze is 36 mm diameter
Fuze visible length: 54 mm (green proj) and 56 mm (yellow)
Ogive starts 66 mm (green), 63 mm (yellow) from top of band

Yellow proj lettering height: 5.5 mm
Green proj lettering: 8 mm

P1030841.jpg
P1030840.jpg
P1030839.jpg

5DC16412-AEA2-462F-81C2-0EBA837885AA.jpegThanks for the measurements. Seems like I got pretty close! Aside from rotating band width, the other differences may just be attributed to projectile type/fuse difference. Attached is the one I modeled off of. Thanks again!
-Steve

Hi Steve
The stencils are 8mm high. the one with aluminium projectile is a experimental APDS.
Harry

Are any of the rotating bands on anyone’s projectiles engraved? If so, what do they say?

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I’ve finished the projectile based on the info I’ve recieved. Steel body, bronze rotating band, aluminum fuse. 177C9636-3EB4-4451-8681-8142968ADA5D.jpg6A16071B-4017-47F6-9803-45F9810C1578.jpg