What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotchkiss 3Pr & 6Pr cases with mouth slots.

ron3350

I need information on these cut-down Hotchkiss cases that have 2 mouth slits.
Are they some type of blank? All comments are welcome.
The 6Pr look like Mk1 cases with those early dates. Otherwise all converted to Mk1V cases then shortened?

3Pr is 247mm long. 6Pr are both 248mm long cases.(Dated 90 and 12 92)

6QmVw2EMRdyVhjVRamPT3w_thumb_47f.jpg3hVLUhdZQbqdAKGCuTC31g_thumb_481.jpgO8bAqZrzROiSPKZsfbbahQ_thumb_480.jpgQ5bZ6tzxRBSHBGV6OhvA4A_thumb_47e.jpg

I need information on these cut-down Hotchkiss cases that have 2 mouth slits.
Are they some type of blank? All comments are welcome.
The 6Pr look like Mk1 cases with those early dates. Otherwise all converted to Mk1V cases then shortened?

3Pr is 247mm long. 6Pr are both 248mm long cases.(Dated 90 and 12 92)

View attachment 147779View attachment 147778View attachment 147780View attachment 147781

Ron, They are both "BLANK" cases and would have had that stencilled on the base. The slots are for canvas 'handles' for lifting them up. Very nice old cases!. Depotman

Depotman. Do you have more info on the canvas "handles". Are they removed before chambering, how large, mentioned in manuals.
Obviously not used on the later blanks without cut-outs. Very interesting.

Or perhaps to lock in a cardboard internal cap/plug of some sort. Handles that could cause a jam don't make
sense to me ? This ought to be in one of the older manuals - but I haven't found anything. The 1887 manual
doesn't mention blanks at all.