What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No.80 fuze plug?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
when I first picked this up I assumed it to be a solid, home made, dummy No.80 but when I turned it over, it was milled out in the same way as a service fuze - not the sort of thing you could easily do at home. I can only presume that this is an official No.80 plug representing fuze although it is not stamped 'dummy' as early fuzes were. Any thoughts?

cheers, Dave

Attachments

• 100_4583.jpg
    100_4583.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_4584.jpg
    100_4584.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 52
Same plugs are existing for german fuzes for usage on firing ranges. Usually these have an equal weigt to a service fuze.

thats interesting Alpini, this is the first such item I have come across in 60 years collecting!

thanks, Dave

I also don't have seen a british one before.

The german fuze plugs are not very rare. Our "fuze shaped" plugs were used mostly for ballistics tests, for expamle when they fired onto a target plate. Others where marked with "V" or "Vp" (Verpackung) - These were used as dummys by factories which made ammunition packages. For propellant and carriage tests flat plugs or solid flat head shells were used.

Here's a german example (Zünderersatzstück f. Dopp.Z.98):

Attachments

• Ersatzst fuer Dopp. Z. 98.jpg
    Ersatzst fuer Dopp. Z. 98.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
thanks for that Alpini, interesting info. I suspect the one I have is uncommon but equally not of much interest to anyone!

Dave

It could have been used on proof rounds from shrapnel lots where samples were fired and recovered
and examined for flaws etc.(like the German ones also) I have the same kind of thing on a U.S. made Russian contract shrapnel.
Dummy solid fuze in the correct Russian shape.
My one Canadian shrapnel proof was likely fired with the regular shipping cap. A lot
of what you found if not recycled and melted may have ended up on lamps after the fact,
so perhaps not a common thing to find now a days. I find it very interesting indeed !
One might consider use on a drill round, if any one has an example of one for an 18pr.