What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.92 Mauser inert training round

Nismosonic

Hi,
anyone seen one of these before? Is it Military? Is 5/10 the date?
Any info good.
many thanks.

Attachments

• 3DC3619A-B5E3-4BA4-9577-DCAFFA6AAC69.jpg
    3DC3619A-B5E3-4BA4-9577-DCAFFA6AAC69.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 520A33C0-4128-4384-9281-6F2F401D4099.jpg
    520A33C0-4128-4384-9281-6F2F401D4099.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 127
Hmmmm...interesting. The case is definitely military and it was made by Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik in May 1910. It is certainly a well made dummy cartridge but it does not look like any German military dummy cartridge that I have ever seen. The bullet doesn't look to be German and the case flutes look too short and too wide to be German. Having said what it's not, I don't actually know what it is.

Here are all, so far I know, WW1 German Ex rounds

Rgds

Attachments

• ExWW1.JPG
    ExWW1.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 109
The date shown on the headstamp is not necessarily the date that your dummy round was assembled. Your cartridge case would have been manufactured to be a ball round and not specifically as a dummy. It might have been fired and then the case reloaded reloaded as a dummy or it may have been a rejected ball case which was then turned into a dummy. I think if Dutch says that he has not seen one of these before you can conclude that it is not German. Jim

The impressions to case are different to those shown by Dutch, and I was aware that many other nations used the Mauser 7.92 round.
The case def German though, the bullet and indents remain a mystery.

I am sorry, but I forgot to add the head stamps. :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Rgds

Attachments

• Ex WW1.jpg
    Ex WW1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 80
The case def German though.
I'm sorry, I wasn't suggesting that the case isn't German...it most definitely is. I was trying to say that it does not look to be a legitimate German military dummy. It might help if you could measure the length of the cartridge case and confirm that it is 57mm. I've come across a few 7.65mm Mauser dummies which have been formed by shortening 7.9mm Mauser cases by 3mm. Jim

Laurent, you are Right. Pease excuse the delay for the answer.
Had to fix my camera first.

The importent cartridges in the Right order.

Attachments

• Laur.jpg
    Laur.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 46