What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My collection in new display cases

My thanks to PeterC, ron3350, and apfsds for your kind words. I have been collecting since 1979 when I was in the 7th grade. It can get expensive, especially when chasing the rarest items, but many of these are significant artifacts which deserve to be preserved and shared with future generations.
The Japanese Gyroscope is a Type 98 which was the final refinement before the end of the war. From what I can find on it, the design was highly efficient and accurate.
Pat

I have a few Japanese torpedo gyros! Love them and they are a testament to engineering perfection! In the beginning of WW2, Japan had the most accurate torpedoes due to their phenomenal gyros. PURE PRECISION

Jason

Wow I think I strained my eyes going over all those pictures with a magnifying glass. Great great great. Obviously you have been a life long collector. Same here.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnanxe(at)Yahoo.com

I see that Japanese Navy aerial bomb! Super! Tell us about the depth charge. US Navy?

Hello Jim,
It's great to hear from you! Thanks for the kind words. I have been at it a while, but my selection of inert Japanese items pales in comparison to yours!

The Depth Charge is a U.S. Navy model. The data plate reads: DEPTH CHARGE CASE MK VI 3-20-43 BEATRICE STEEL TANK MFG. CO
The two main manufacturers of depth charge cases and depth bombs were Beatrice steel tank mfg. co. and Rheem Corporation (the water heater company) which makes sense.
Beatrice opened in 1911 and closed in 2009. Their production was mainly military from 1941 - 1945.
100_7515.jpg100_7547.jpg100_7546 1.jpg100_7546.jpg

Greetings!
I have added several items since the pictures above were taken so here are some current pictures. The first 2 pictures are all items from the Tulsa Oklahoma gun show (4,200 tables!!!) except the knee mortar round with the fuze which came from the SOS show.
The Japanese Type 93 mine was too nice to pass up with GREAT markings and an original label. I also found 3 scarce Japanese training grenades (2 ceramic and 1 hard rubber).
The next 6 pictures are an assortment of neat items from local shows and internet auctions. It's hard to pick a favorite but the BOMBA ORSINI might be it!
Feel free to comment or ask any questions you may have and thanks for taking the time to look! Pat
100_7856.jpg100_7857.jpg100_7882.jpg100_7864.jpg100_7865.jpg100_7866.jpg100_7867.jpg100_7868.jpg100_7869.jpg

Some US Navy items

Here are some neat US Navy items I picked this weekend at our local show. Who would guess these would turn up in Kansas! The cutaway is not a hedgehog anti submarine spigot mortar but it's cousin, the Mark 20 or Mark 22 "mousetrap" anti submarine rocket which I found at the SOS show. The hedgehog was fired from heavy ships but the force of firing would damage smaller craft so the mousetrap uses a rocket to propel it and is base fused, not nose fused like the hedgehog. I do not know the name of the 3rd item, but it is fired from a hedge hog launcher and contains 4 large magnets inside the Styrofoam head which are dispersed upon impact with the water and are designed to stick to an enemy submarines hull. Once in place, they have a have a moveable tube or arm which bangs against the submarines hull from the movement of passing water. This forces the submarine to stop and, on older models, to surface to de-foul their hulls. Note the V shaped cut outs in the tail fin ring which are not present on the hedgehog or mousetrap.
US SUBS has a complete one so maybe Jeff can show a picture of the magnets (which are missing on mine) if time allows.
Thanks again for looking! Pat
100_7898.jpg100_7899.jpg100_7902.jpg100_7903.jpg100_7904.jpg

Thanksgiving forced the reclamation of the dining table. I photographed and then moved the recent acquisitions to the collection room.
Pictured is a wide variety of items collected over the last 5 months at several shows and a few online purchases. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

In the 4th picture, there are 2 unknown rounds in the middle between 2 20mm (left) and 2 .50 cal (right). They are marked S L 45 on the base. The projectile is 1.5cm in diameter and 7.1cm long. The case is 11.5cm long and the base is 3cm in diameter. The projectiles are just barely pushed into the case as the fit is quite snug. These measurements are close, but not exact as I don't have my calipers at hand. These are out of my general area of collecting but still very neat. Any information would be appreciated!

Also, the German S Mine fuze is made of brown anodized aluminum, something I have not seen before. Is this uncommon? Any information would also be appreciated! Thanks for looking!
100_9462.jpg100_9463.jpg100_9464.jpg100_9465.jpg100_9468.jpg100_9467.jpg100_9466.jpg100_9469.jpg

The two unknown are .60 US XPL for the T1E1 Anti Tank Gun.
The 20x102 was developed from the case.
Here are my two .60.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_28.jpg
    Zuschneiden_28.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 31
Thank you rigby!
Once pointed in the right direction, I did a little research and it would appear the round was referred to as the T17 cartridge.

It has been a year since my last update to this thread and once AGAIN, Thanksgiving forced the reclamation of the dining table. I again photographed and then moved the recent acquisitions to the collection room.
Pictured is a wide variety of items collected over the last 5 months at several shows and a few online purchases.
The red siren is marked U.S.ARMY and is unissued. The black lantern is German and dated 1939 and is railroad marked.
Thanks for looking! Pat
100_9516.jpg100_9517.jpg100_9518.jpg100_9519.jpg

Some absolutely incredible additions. That, German Depth Charge pistol is epic.

Jason

Thanks for sharing

What is it ?

View attachment 179749Grenade 1.JPGGrenade 2.JPGGrenade 3.JPGGrenade 4.JPG
You have a keen eye! This is the neatest item in the grouping. It was sold to me as a British Experimental Grenade, Pre-WW1, from the Royal Laboratories. It has features in the fuze that are quite similar to the No 1 grenade but it's true origin is still a mystery.
One of our expert forum members shared the following thoughts with me before I purchased it:
"Firstly I think it is genuine for the age maybe 10 years prior to the Great War so 1904-1905 ish. That opinion is based on the brass work.

I'm not sure if it is a Royal Laboratories prototype as they normally has a design number stamped onto them.

I do have an alternate theory. In 1904 Lt Col Haldane brought back a range of grenades from the Russian / Japanese war. The RL concentrated on the Japanese grenade that had been developed from the Russian Lishin. Now the engineering of the brass top here is far better than the Lishin but the style looks similar. So this may be a Russian grenade brought back to the RL but not adopted. The heavy iron casting looks similar to the Russian stick mines of WW2 but it's clearly far older then that.

It's not one I've seen before but your seller's story could be near the mark."

I would be delighted to hear any other opinions or information which might help identify it.

Pat

The incendiary bomb is interesting and love the Indian mills

The Incendiary bomb is made of wood with sheet metal fins. The seller felt it was a wooden visual recognition training aid as real ones would have been a bit hard to inert and distribute in mass.

The mills is marked POF on the base plug, lever, and center tube assembly which I understood to stand for Pakistani Ordnance Factory. The casting is very rough compared with most other Mills. If you have any additional info it would be most welcome! Pat