What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sihwa

pzgr40

Premium Member
I just had a discussion with a friend of mine from the German EOD; US bombs are found here in Germany with the text "Sihwa" on the side. We do not know what it means. Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
DJH

Attachments

• IMG-20181112-WA0037.jpg
    IMG-20181112-WA0037.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 79
It's the WWII ammunition identification code that tells you it's an AN/M64A1 500-lb bomb with Comp B filling. See here.....

Thank you very much for the awnser. It solved a problem. So it's not SIHWA , but S1 WHA.
Regards, DJH

I ditto those thanks. I have been compiling a list of the AICs for several years, mostly those found on wooden ammo crates and boxes, and in a couple of cases, cans, but I didn't have near the range of the posted reference. Just a note, the five-digit alpha numeric was originally a letter first, then a number, but as the system expanded and got more complex, the second digit also became a letter, giving more options. The five digits are written without spaces, but often contractors (or arsenals, I guess....) would make up a number of boxes, labeling them with the "generic" digits, and only adding the last three, two or single digit after the box was filled, since many boxes could be used for example for all types of linked/belted .30 M1 rounds, each having its own AIC for the most part.
Thanks again