What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3IN MARK II M2 case - 1943

It is the right case, but be aware that it was also used in the 3 inch mobile AAA gun and the 3 inch Antitank gun. It came out of WWI as a AAA case.

Last edited:
It is the right case, but be aware that it was also used in the 3 inch mobile AAA gun and the 3 inch Antitank gun. It came out of WWI as a AAA case.
Phew! I'm aware the case wasn't exclusive to the M7 gun, I just wanted to make sure it was correct for my tank / anti-tank ammunition collection.

Yes, correct. Now you need an M79 AP-T projo or M62 APCBC-T projo.
I believe you forgot the M42 HE projo....good luck, I have found all Army 3" projos very, very hard to find....and cases (whether steel or brass) only hard to find. You are half way there. I posted the process I used to remove the rust from one of my projos, and I buy all 3" Army cases and projos I can find knowing the scarcity. I put the 3" in the " advanced" category, but being in England you may have better luck finding them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I've seen other cases for sale in the UK, but never loose projectiles. Milcorem does resin replicas, but they aren't cheap.

Possibly a stupid question, but why do some US 3-inch projectiles have a single cannelure and others a double? My case has crimp marks for the latter.

I've seen other cases for sale in the UK, but never loose projectiles. Milcorem does resin replicas, but they aren't cheap.

Possibly a stupid question, but why do some US 3-inch projectiles have a single cannelure and others a double? My case has crimp marks for the latter.
Never noticed, I will check my cases. As for " not cheap", I paid what I thought dearly for the first one of my M62 projos ($225 USD plus shipping) and the other M62 and the yellow M42 in an auction lot gladly half of that. Many ( like me at the time) did not understand the differences between a 76mm, Navy 3" and Army 3". Quite confusing until I had my questions answered here. That is why I view Army 3" projectiles as " advanced".

I didn't forget the M42. He said Antitank, so I listed the AP projectiles.

What I have, a 1942 dated brass casing, single line crimps. The steel 1944 dated , same and has yellow ink markings. My 1943 dated steel one I believe is unfired, it is pristine and has no trace of any crimps. It has red ink markings on the case. I seem to recall a double lined crimp on an odd 3" casing I sold off awhile ago, it was pre war dated, 1920's or 30's date. Some one really wanted it, it went for about $200.

Last edited: