What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Mixed metal musket" and "mixed metal pistol" loading

sgdbdr

Hi,

In "Ammunition. A descriptive treatise...." Part II "Ammunition for rifled ordnance" , 1870, available on Google books :

https://books.google.fr/books?id=zi...age&q=ammunition descriptive treatise&f=false

Image1.jpg

Page 92 (94 of the pdf) a table describes several Case Shots. Amongst all of them 2 got my attention because of their loading :

The 9'' Mark II and the 7'' Mark II are loaded with "MIXED METAL MUSKET" (50 for the 9'', 23 for the 7'') and "MIXED METAL PISTOL" (58 for the 9'', 22 for the 7'')

I can't get a good translation of those MIXED METAL...

Can somebody help ?

Regards,

S.

Hi I thought the large r.m.l case shots had cast iron balls I have a 11" r.m.l case that has 200+ half pound balls within but maybe to answer your question my belief to the mixed metal musket and pistol balls is that they used a lead antimony (lead mixed normally with tin to make it harder ) as apposed to normal musket balls that were very soft lead I guess to help them retain there shape during the firing process but that is only my understanding of the meaning hope that maybe helped

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk