What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generator colored smoke No. 26 Mk I

Antoon

Ordnance approved
Who has some information (size, weight, content, cut away drawing, etc.) about the Generator Coloured Smoke No. 26 Mk I. I know the green and yellow smoke version. Are there more colours? Are these used by British forces during WW2 in Europe or alone in Australia?

Greetings - Antoon

Unknown 2.jpeg images 2.jpeg

I assume this crate is for these generators :

ltrailer 044.jpgltrailer 045.jpgltrailer 046.jpgltrailer 047.jpg

Green somoke : PN435
23% LACTOSE
27% POTASSIUM CHLORATE
28% DYE, QUINIZARIN GREEN (C.I.1078)
22% DYE, QUINOLINE YELLOW C.I. 800

I think the Australian War Memorial have incorrectly identified these as having been manufactured at Maribyrnong, 2MB is the monogram of the Metal Box Company, Robinson's Branch, UK. As the name implies they manufactured containers. The diagram for the Generator shows the filler's monogram on the lid, which is absent in each specimen. There's also a neat hole in each lid, suggesting these were supplied as inert examples.

The amended burning times are -

Red smoke - 15-30 secs
Green smoke - 10-20 secs
Blue smoke - 10-20 secs
Yellow smoke - 15-20 secs

TimG
View attachment Generator No 26.pdf

They were packed in Box Steel P59, 40 per box. The pack shown is a P59 Mark II, more famous as the container for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Shell QF Separate 25 Pounder from the 1940s to 1960s, packed x4 in a spring loaded clamp. The clamp fit area can be seen in the box. The quantity of smoke composition would have been the same for all colours but the burning times and intensity would have varied due to the difference in compositions.
1   Gen Smk No 26 - 1.jpg2   Gen Smk No 26 - 1.jpg