What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pom-2S

pzgr40

Premium Member
Who can help me on a good -preferably cutaway drawing- op a POM-2 S Scaterable mine.

Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

According to this book

KPOM.jpg
the mine is called POM-2 and the cluster KPOM2S

Here is a drawing of the POM-2 from "Инженерные боеприпасы. Руководство по материальной части и применению. Кн. 6"

KPOM2.jpg

Regards,

S.

Last edited:
According to this book

the mine is called POM-2 and the cluster KPOM2S

Here is a drawing of the POM-2 from "Инженерные боеприпасы. Руководство по материальной части и применению. Кн. 6"

Regards,

S.

Only POM-2, no POM-2S! All POM-2 when developed had self-destruction mechanism.
Name of instruction translates next:
Anti-personel fragmentation mine POM-2. Block KPOM-2 WITH (WITH, but not KPOM-2S!) anti-personel fragmentation mines POM-2.

Only POM-2, no POM-2S! All POM-2 when developed had self-destruction mechanism.
Name of instruction translates next:
Anti-personel fragmentation mine POM-2. Block KPOM-2 WITH (WITH, but not KPOM-2S!) anti-personel fragmentation mines POM-2.

What is the difference between POM-2 and POM-2S ?

What is the difference between POM-2 and POM-2S ?

No differences, because do not exists POM-2S. POM-2 has self-destruction mechanism and does not need letter S in the end, like POM-1S or PFM-1S (because exist versions POM-1 and PFM-1 without that mechanism).

No differences, because do not exists POM-2S. POM-2 has self-destruction mechanism and does not need letter S in the end, like POM-1S or PFM-1S (because exist versions POM-1 and PFM-1 without that mechanism).

Ok, thanks a lot.
So a mistake in our French doc.
But sometimes we can see ПОМ-2-С on this kind of ammo ?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks a lot.
So a mistake in our French doc.
But sometimes we can see ПОМ-2-С on this kind of ammo ?

It is a mistake in a lot of docs :)
Yes, I saw that photo (only one photo!) with 'POM-2S'. I have two questions - who made that photo and where? And the second - why mine does not look like POM-2? :)
Exist POM-2R mines without self-destruction mechanism, but it is POM-2R, not POM-2.

DJH-Please let me know that you are about to tackle one of the cleverest infernal devices around! Ideal for your skill, as all mechanical-Can't think how they assemble the fuze, with a tiny ball in the bottom. The only drawing of the fuze seems to have disappeared from the Web. I just cannot fathom how the plunger passes through a diaphragm at top.
Think the perforated uprighting paddles could be to produce a greater drag when passing though a layer of water, so producing a larger uprighting force. The hand launcher, with the pull string igniter, has a strange little plunger sticking out of the base, to show that the mine has been pushed far enough down the barrel.(Felt in dark, rather than looking at marking on mine case?) I can only think that the loaded launcher is supplied with the mine high up in the barrel, so, in case of a dump fire, the friction igniter would inflame, but the mine would be too far away to be launched.
Just hope that your Dremel doesn't melt with the intense use of late!
Thanks for your regular doses of excitement!
Martin.

DJH-Have you started an autopsy on a POM-2? There was a drawing of the fuze mechanism, but that seems to have vanished. I just cannot figure out the self-destruct feature! Assembling the ball detent relase mechanism looks to have been most complex. I now think the perforated paddles were designed to make them flexible, so they would bend easily to fit into the small diameter body, but would flatten as thry were released, improving their action on soft ground.

Is it going to be released as a Christmas special!
Sprockets.

I have now read that not only does the fuze respond to slight rotation of its input axis, caused by pull on the trip-lines, also self-destruct, but even is triggered when the mine body is tilted through a small angle! I only ever saw once a detailed section of the fuze, but this unfortunately has now disappeared (Probably it had been uploaded by the tirelss Ivashkin!) Has anyone a copy of this document, and, better still, a knowledge of the functioning? The self-destruct appears to utilise a silicone fluid, if I interpreted the image correctly, though it might be a metal -shearing type delay.Thanks.

I have now read that not only does the fuze respond to slight rotation of its input axis, caused by pull on the trip-lines, also self-destruct, but even is triggered when the mine body is tilted through a small angle! I only ever saw once a detailed section of the fuze, but this unfortunately has now disappeared (Probably it had been uploaded by the tirelss Ivashkin!) Has anyone a copy of this document, and, better still, a knowledge of the functioning? The self-destruct appears to utilise a silicone fluid, if I interpreted the image correctly, though it might be a metal -shearing type delay.Thanks.

Maybe picture was mine, but maybe not. Here you are cutway from the manual.
Fuze is VP-09S, but also exists VP-09S1 (VP-09S-1). What is the difference (or are differences?) - no information.
015.jpg

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but I only have the lower part of the mine, I am still looking for the upper part. I thought that I could have the upper part 3D printed , but found out it will be the hell of a job to even draw it 3D.
This is what I have so far. If anybody has the upper part for sale or trade, please let me know.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 20191117_223907.jpg
    20191117_223907.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks, Ivashkin, for a very clear section of the fuze-I think it was you who mentioned that the fuze operates in three ways-1) Trip lines rotate the lever 14, which rises slightly to allow this to happen, when rod 17 is no longer held down-rise slowed by pressing the vee shaped piece of metal to slide (friction) against rubber diaphragm, to allow trip line weights to settle 2)-Destroys itself as silicone fluid in 31, 30 moves from top, though hole and past small openings in 31 (rubber) 3)- Tilting the mine somehow releases firing pin-How? Could the rubber piece 31, when mine is tilted, deform, release inside edge from groove in rod 29, letting fluid flow rapidly, and let 29 rise rapidly, causing detonation. Hole 34-Is this to let the gases of detonator firing release to the top? I am usually wrong!
pzgr40-When I saw your picture I thought that you had all the fuze, just the top pieces missing. Then I looked again-you appear to be missing all the fuze mechanism as well! ! Oh, no! Let's hope that someone supplies a corpse for you to dissect soon!
Many thanks to you both,
Martin.

If you need any help with how the mine works DJH, let me know as I've written about this before. Its fiendish complex in operation and the images supplied by Ivaskin (which come from one of the russian mine warfare manuals) can be problematic due to various issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have now been informed that in the Russian manual for this munition, there is no mention of the mine being sensitive to tilting! This would make sense, as I cannot see how easily this could be achieved. Possibly the horizontal arm to which the trip-lines are attached might swing if the body was moved, but it would be a random effect. I cannot remember where I read about its sensitivity to tilt-Ivashkin, have you seen such a reference?

Another thought about the perforations in the orientating arms-perhaps it is to prevent a strong wind from catching an arm that is upright, and blowing the whole weapon over, so that it ends up lying on its side, resting on the tips of two of the arms.