What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GR88 9cm Shrapnel

Collector56

just picked this up today. I believe it is a German GR88 9cm shrapnel
overall length from base to tip of fuse = 24cm
width of each driving band = 22mm
lower band, distance from base= 17mm
distance between bands = 75mm

I don't believe the two threaded holes in the base are original, may have been mounted to some kind of base at some stage.
the driving bands seem to be part of the body and formed from the same cast iron (not copper)

does anyone know the manufacturers code on the base, "K.G."
marked in three places with a sort of squiggly line under each one (Turkish??)

if anyone can identify that manufacturer, it would be much appreciated

IMG20181201120932.jpgIMG20181201125617.jpgIMG20181201125625.jpgIMG20181201125633.jpgIMG20181201125742.jpgIMG20181201125646.jpg

That certainly looks like it.
I found a picture of an identical projectile on the lovett web page, it was described as GR88 there.
Any thoughts on the markings on the base?

Very interesting find in good condition. The KG stamps on the base are acceptance/inspection stamps, every stamp denotes one inspection. For example the shell got one of the stamps after successful high pressure water test. KG is the abbreviation of the "KanonenGießerei" in Spandau" (today Berlin). With the many small punch marks the shell was checked for invisible cavities in the grey cast iron. If you find a "KG" on the ogive too then the Kanonengießerei is also the manufacturer (it must not be). This shell has no connection to Turkey.

The driving band is made of a hard Lead-Antimon alloy (like letter metal) which was soldered to the grey cast iron body.

You'll find the production year in one of the fuzes key slots.

Last edited:
Had a quick check of the fuse, unfortunately I can find no markings on it other than those numbers on the time ring
I imagine with the style of driving bands and fuse it would be quite early

Thanks to all contributing
I obtained this a few years back and know little about them. Spotter IDed it in one of his emails and suggested we would get more info from you guys if I posted pics.

After reading about the guns I wondered if the lead based driving bands were specially for the 1879 version with bronze barrel. Like the US James 3.8" The only marks I can find are 1777 and 4 on base. Too bad the fuse is missing top but tube and shrapnel were stored in it. If these were loaded with picric acid and this was a misfire somebody was lucky.

2017-02-04 19.18.56_resized.jpg
2017-02-04 19.17.55_resized.jpg
2017-02-02 19.22.18_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice projectile, I think you have come to the right place, I was amazed by the information the guys on this forum could provide on my projectile

If these were loaded with picric acid and this was a misfire somebody was lucky.

Only the brass tube was filled with black powder. The lead balls were fixed in sulfur. Its a shrapnel shell and not a HE shell. It was introduced in 1873 as Minenaz wrote, Pircric Acid came 15 years later.

It was used in the 9cm C/73 field gun (steel barrel)

Last edited: