What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RE Bomb Disposal memorial

Tony-

On a recent visit to the UK I came across this mine clearance memorial and thought I'd post the pics.

The brass plates might be difficult to read because of the photo size and reflection, the names are of RE Bomb Disposal killed clearing British mines from Norfolk beaches between 1944 and 1953.

Tony

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 48
It is sad that so many died, killed by our own munitions. For those whose names are followed by `BEM', this was at a time when the BEM was a minor gallantry award. It was still issued as a gallantry award to British military personnel into the early 1970s as far as I know. One of my bosses in the early 1980s had been issued with a BEM about ten years earlier. Another man I knew was issued a BEM for his part in outloading ammo for the forthcoming Falklands war in 1982, but I don't think that his was for gallantry, just dedication to duty.