What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pr fuze adaptor variation ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
I picked up a rubbish 18pr shrapnel for a fuze (fuze was unmarked so likely unfinished No 80). I thought it had an unfinished
fuze adaptor piece on it like one I found previously loose with a plug in it. This one has a Broad Arrow mark, so while the profile
is different , maybe it is quite alright. I show both as a comparison. The top of the projectile has a lip,
that too is a bit different, it had markings but the whole surface is pitted.
I should mention that the fuze adaptor was "Staked" in, that is there is one sharp indent in the upper lip
that would bind the adapter in place. This would have to be done with machine equipment. The adaptor
was loose when I got this as some one had worked it loose, but it certainly worked as I had to file it down
some what to get the adaptor back on properly.

I have not seen this or the upper lip (the projectile has been coned and the push plate is trapped inside) on 18prs before ?

Attachments

• fa1.jpg
    fa1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 33
  • fa2.jpg
    fa2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 34
  • fa3.jpg
    fa3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 33
  • fa4.jpg
    fa4.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 34
  • fa5.jpg
    fa5.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I show two 18Pr MkX11 projectiles.
The one with the groove at the mouth is by VSM . Both made in 1918.
It may depend on the maker if they use a groove or not. I only have one example with a mouth groove. Ron.

Gp6Lal1ZTYat3J3IHk+AMw_thumb_4b9.jpg

I think the projectile is 1917, but it's too far gone to tell much more, who
made it or anything else. I think I have seen this type of groove on a 13pr also.