What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torpedo propulsion RGF 14 inch Mk X

Michel

Anybody got information about a 14 inch mk X RGF torpedo. I am wondering if the most of the depth keeping mechanism (secret chamber) of this torpedo was placed in front of the three cycle Brotherhood engine, but with in the engine chamber. Or was there a system for waterpressure measuring placed on the other side of the wall between engine and airflask. And how did this look like.
And was there a gyroscope mounted or upgraded in all of these. All info is welcome!
DCABEAEA-6791-4824-AD0C-33EED8492E63.jpg 9B70B678-6266-486C-8F3F-70D56737F904.jpg D90C4BDA-1987-49DD-B1BD-5B2D7433CF26.jpg B73AE25A-FEDE-41AA-8B7E-DAB7C7FD2E85.jpgB73AE25A-FEDE-41AA-8B7E-DAB7C7FD2E85.jpg

Super nice restoration.

Most of the torpedo depth control devices that I have seen in various countries torpedoes were housed next to the guidance gyro or mounted to the gyro housings. Many of the early depth controls were pendulum designs and did not require contact with water or pressure. Later designs were more advanced. Wish I could better specifically answer your questions better.

Jason

Thank you Jason, a lot of time went in to cleaning this one. I was hoping for a source not know to me for a blueprint of somekind. But probably it is lost forever. The model was used from 1898 and at the end of ww1 there were 50 kept in reserve the rest was destroyed.
The photo of the mk IX is the same but some technical issues were resolved in the X model (weak tail section).The first succesfull torpedo attack by plane was also a 14 inch model X type torpedo.
93A6F03B-3FCD-4897-B45C-2619E7F25FD7.jpeg

Seriously, SUPER IMPRESSIVE! I'll try to hunt down info too for you if I can :)

Jason

Anybody got information about a 14 inch mk X RGF torpedo. I am wondering if the most of the depth keeping mechanism (secret chamber) of this torpedo was placed in front of the three cycle Brotherhood engine, but with in the engine chamber. Or was there a system for waterpressure measuring placed on the other side of the wall between engine and airflask. And how did this look like.
And was there a gyroscope mounted or upgraded in all of these. All info is welcome!

Hi Michel,

the depth regulator compartment was in front of the engine compartment, I don’t know that much on RGF’s production so I’m unsure which kind of pendulum it was.
Looking at the picture of the front side is visible the waterproof chamber which is the component meant to transmit the depth regulator’s movement to the air assisted servo, on the right side the piping leading to the air loading and conservation valves.
Between the depth regulator and the machine compartments there was a wet space, at its fore there was the back of the hydrostatic rubber disk, which sensing the water pressure interacted with the pendulum’s spring system, at its back what you see in the front picture.
The inside picture shows the air assisted servo (cylinder on the right) and its blocking devices, that servo sends the depth regulator’s output straight to the horizontal rudders by mean of a a rod passing trough the oblique fat pipe visible in the overall picture, the thin rod that runs parallel to the engine shaft connects the guidance system to the vertical rudders for direction keeping, the guidance system with its gyro device, likely of the Weymouth type, was installed right behind the engine compartment.

Hi Lefa, I had to read it twice to take it in. But your explanation is very good thank you for taking the trouble to write it down! I have seen different types of pendulum in Rijkea but non like the one that is going to fit on this system. The rod (running parallel to the axel) I suspected was the one connected to the gyro. And I know that the Weymouth type gyro worked well with the Mk X when it was installed in one. Hopefully a blueprint surfaces in the years to come. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
You’re welcome, unfortunately I don’t have drawings of the Mk-X in the archive, the components are more or less the ones of the other contemporary projects but for each project there are often minor changes and different fittings. I’m not aware of any Mk-X out for display, there is a Mk-IX in Canada somewhere by memory, for drawings I’d dig at the National Archives.
Most likely the pendulum was the one from 1883 as attached, but its actual micro-fitting can’t be assumed.
For instance, many torpedoes of that period had the depth regulator compartment right in front of the engine one, but your sample has the waterproof chamber with its lever pointing forward, so assuming that the front bulkhead of the engine compartment is solid metal and doesn’t has the hydrostatic rubber disk (?), this project had a wet chamber between the depth regulator and the engine compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 41
  • plate07.jpg
    plate07.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 39
  • plate06.jpg
    plate06.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3034 copy.jpg
    IMG_3034 copy.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Opera Snapshot_2018-12-17_175210_www.muzej-rijeka.hr.jpg
    Opera Snapshot_2018-12-17_175210_www.muzej-rijeka.hr.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 43
Amazing reference photos and diagrams, Lefa! Thank you. I saved all of the images. Loved seeing the cross section showing the gyro, engine and depth control apparatus. I have the gyro in my collection :)

Jason

Hi Lefa, indeed the setup with this one was somewhat different but along the same way. The front bulkhead is solid metal. I dug up these photos and on the second we can see a watertight bulkhead crossing somewhat the same as the Mk X. Would be nice to have a Weymouth gyro to go with the engine. I go and save up for one. Thanks!
5D4CE506-66ED-4D5D-9004-7A17E490CB4B.jpg 8EA581D6-13BA-47CC-AF65-532404A4A9B7.jpg

Hi Michel, What chemical did you use to clean the Torpedo, yours looks rather good condition too mine.? I have the same 14 inch Brotherhood.

Last edited:
Hi Michel, What chemical did you use to clean the Torpedo, yours looks rather good condition too mine.? I have the same 14 inch Brotherhood.

The cleaning methode used is cleaning vinegar the normal 6% type mixed with regular water (40% vinegar 60% water) and a lot of pacience. But it depends on the degree of degrading start with less cleaning vinegar when it is briddle! Can you post a few pics? And is there a gyroscope mounted?

20190806_175116.jpg20190806_175207.jpg20190806_175230.jpg
Hi Michel, sorry mine is a early torpedo number 214 and is pre gyro so i have been told. sorry the pics are not great but hope they help.

its been in the sea 50 years or so and 40 years in the shed. i saved it as it was going for scrap. As for your gyroscope i have a friend who has done a lot of research on early torpedos, Email me on b4drk@btinternet.com and i will give you his number.

Hi, Dose anyone in the UK have a early pendulum device for the 14 inch baby pre-gyro torpedo. Think its very similar to the green picture above.?