What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1000 lb bomb ID

This came with some other stuff, any help with exactly what it is would be appreciated. We already have a 1000 lb target indicator and it's completely different, the ID plate also states a TNT filling. The body is thin-walled and cylindrical with a heavy nose weight.

fullsizeoutput_bbd.jpgfullsizeoutput_bc4.jpgfullsizeoutput_bc6.jpg

The plate shows it as a 12D/29523, 12D is the stores reference for a RAF pyrotechnic item, however 29523 seems far, far too high for that period.

It is shown as being manufactured by PAT - ROF Patricroft in 1940, however 1,000 lb TIs were not used until 1943 and from what little I know they were "B25" with a rounded nose.

Filling of TNT doesn't make sense - some candles were filled with explosive to dissuade people tampering with them once burning (similar to German 1Kg Incendiary) but the explosive used was gunpowder.

I've no idea who the filler "JT" is.

The base does resemble the description of "Bombs, Aircraft, T.I. 1000lb. No. 1 and 2 Mk.2" in that it has a central hole and two holes either side to accept barometric fuzes.

The stores references for the above are 12D/1292 and 12D/1293.

TimG

Last edited:
Hello,
Found this bomb registered as 1000Lb TI on the web but very different shape.
What is this ?
Regards

1.jpg2.jpg

Minenaz16,

I think it is a B25 1,000lb Skymarker T.I Bomb, the first variant of 1,000lb T.I. bombs.

The following is an excerpt from history of PFF Pyrotechnic Stores-

"Unfortunately, as the defences of the targets were strengthened, so bombing heights were increased, and it was found that some weapons which had been ballistically stable and accurate from lower heights, were far from satisfactory at the greater heights. The 1,000lb T.I. was one of the worst sufferers in this respect."

Which I think explains the different shape and the introduction of the 1,000lb T.I. No1, MkI etc.

The attached should explain a bit more.

TimG
3.jpg25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg21.jpg

Last edited: